Three-O-Three Bar

Stock photo of a bar

303 Kaighn Avenue

The bar at 303 Kaighn Avenue was in operation as early as June of 1939, when Lauraine Bieri was granted a liquor license renewal by the city of Camden.

Lauraine Bieri and her husband Charles appear in the 1930 Census as living at 1210 Hyde Park, a small street that runs between Kaighn Avenue and Liberty Street and 2nd and 3rd Streets. Charles Bieri was then working as a baker. The Bieri family appears to have left Camden by 1947.

It was reported in the August 6, 1936 edition of the Camden Courier-Post that Clara Auerbach had obtained a tax lien on the property on October 3, 1934. This lien was apparently satisfied before the property would have been sold.

The 1940 Camden City Directory shows a Joseph Pierzinski as the proprietor. Joseph F. Pierzynski was the son of Frank and Laura Pierzynski, both of whom had been born in Poland. The Pirzynski family lived from about the time of World War I through at least 1947 at 920 Atlantic Avenue. Frank Pierzynski operated a business called the Lansdowne Bottle Exchange, which may indicate that he had a role in the bar as well. In any event the Pierzynski family’s involvement in the bar seems to have been short-lived. Frank Pierzynski died in Camden in 1068 at the age of 79, survived by his wife Laura. Joseph F. Pierzynski lived at 909 Atlantic Avenue from the 1940s through at least 1977. He later moved to Somerdale NJ, passing away. He passed away in 1997.

The Directory for 1943 shows that a Charles Redemann was the owner, and that he lived on premises with his wife Fannie. Apparently his involvement in the bar ended in 1947, as the next published directory, that of 1947, has two entries for this address. Charles and Fannie Redemann are shown as living at 303 Kaighn Avenue, and Charles Redemann is shown as operating the tavern there. Another party is also shown as being in business at this address, the Three-O-Three Bar & Liquor Store Inc., with V. DeFalco, President; A.J. DeFalco, Secretary-Treasurer; and Samuel DeFalco Vice President. The directory indicates that V. and A.J. DeFalco resided in Collingswood NJ, and that Samuel DeFalco resided at 100 West Cedar Avenue in Oaklyn.

In 1967 the liquor license renewal application listed the 303 Bar & Liquor Store Inc.’s officers as follows:

PresidentAnna Del Rossi2672 North Congress Road
Vice PresidentHelen Mazur1216 Van Hook Street
Secretary & TreasurerVictoria Waskiewicz213 W. Wayne Terrace, Collingswood

The business continued as the Three-O-Three through at least 1970. Samuel DeFalco passed away at the age of 73 in August of 1972. The listing in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directories from 1978 through 1981 is for the Togetherness Bar. As more and more homes and businesses buildings were abandoned and razed in the area near 3rd and Kaighn, it became more and more difficult for the bar to remain in business. By the 1990s the building at 303 Kaighn Avenue had been leveled as well.


Hover or click on marker for additional details

Related Articles

  • Three-O-Three Bar

    Three-O-Three Bar

    The Three-Oh-Three Bar was at, not coincidentally, 303 Kaighns Avenue, operating from the late 1930’s to the 1970’s under various names.

    Read More…


Join the discussion!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.