Category: Businesses

  • Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

    Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

    Haddon Avenue and Vesper Avenue From the book, Camden County Medical Society, 1846-1956, published by the Camden County Medical Society, 1957 Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden, New Jersey, was opened to patients on July 1, 1950, for the care of all races, colors, and creeds. The hospital is owned and operated by the Sisters…

  • Victory Garage

    628 Kaighn Ave aka Earl Scheib’s Auto Paint Shop The history of the Victory Garage at 7th & Kaighn Avenue is a fascinating tale of business evolution. Established in 1923, it operated under the ownership of Edward Rosen by 1938 and through the late 1940s. Edward and his wife Belle resided at 1273 Magnolia Avenue…

  • Litwin Brother’s Market

    Litwin Brother’s Market

    801 Elm Street, Camden, NJ. The story of the Litwin family is a testament to the entrepreneurial spirit and resilience. Isadore and Reba Litwin, originally from Russia, settled in Philadelphia before World War I. By 1930, they were residing at 2510 South 9th Street with their three children: Edward, Philip, and Sylvia. Isadore already owned…

  • The River Line Light Rail

    The River Line Light Rail

    The South Jersey light rail system, known as the Riverline, started on March 14, 2004. The line consisted of 20 stops and costed commuters $1.10 per trip. Rife with controversies, a 1996 study had concluded that a Burlington route would be less suitable than a Gloucester County route and there was quite a bit of…

  • American Cigar Company

    American Cigar Company

    South 6th and Mechanic Streets, Camden, NJ The American Cigar Company was a significant entity in the tobacco industry, particularly in the early 20th century. Established as a result of the consolidation of various smaller companies, it became one of the largest cigar manufacturers in the United States. The company was known for its mass…

  • Victoria Hotel

    Victoria Hotel

    201 Kaighn Avenue The Victoria Hotel, located at 201 Kaighn Avenue, is believed to have been constructed sometime after 1891, with records indicating that it was operational by 1908. Julius Allendorf, the long-time owner of the establishment, was born in Philadelphia around 1867. He hailed from a family with a brewing background, as his father,…

  • Time and Place Lounge

    Time and Place Lounge

    1199 Chase Street The building at 1199 Chase Street, in the heart of what was the predominantly Polish Whitman Park section of Camden, was the home of a saloon as early as 1918. Joseph Brzozowski was the proprietor then, and remained as such through 1921. City Directories from 1924 through 1928 list Simon Sochanski as…

  • Gordon’s Hotel and Livery

    Gordon’s Hotel and Livery

    802 South 2nd Street; Corner of South 2nd Street and Pine Street The Gordon family’s entrepreneurial journey began around the year 1876 when Thomas Gordon, alongside his wife Maria, embarked on a venture that would shape their legacy for generations to come. Establishing a saloon and stable at 801 South 2nd Street in Camden, New…

  • Knox Gelatine Company

    Knox Gelatine Company

    Knox Gelatin Co., originally known as the Landesman Co., had its beginnings in early 20th-century Camden, specifically at the intersection of 4th and Erie streets. This company specialized in producing gelatin for various industries, including food, photography, and pharmaceuticals. The pivotal moment came when Maurice Kind, a German-born brewer who immigrated to the United States…

  • Ionic Lodge No. 94

    Ionic Lodge No. 94

    Free and Accepted Masons The Ionic Lodge, originally known as the Corinthian Lodge, was established in 1868. It had its roots in the Camden Lodge, No. 15, which served as the “parent” lodge for Corinthian. The transformation into Ionic Lodge No. 94 occurred on February 23, 1869. Throughout its history, Ionic Lodge boasted a membership…

  • The Original Tarantini Panzarotti

    The Original Tarantini Panzarotti

    The Original Tarantini Panzarotti Tarts came to America with Pauline Tarantini, an immigrant mother of 10 who spoke very little English. As a seven-year-old, Mrs. Tarantini learned to make these uniquely delicious and nourishing treats from her mother in Brindisi, Italy. In 1960, during a family financial crisis, Mrs. Tarantini took to her frying pan…

  • General John A. Logan Post No 102 – G.A.R.

    General John A. Logan Post No 102 – G.A.R.

    Post 102 – Grand Army of the Republic General John A. Logan Post No. 102 was established on February 7, 1887, in Camden with an initial membership of 11 veterans. The post was named after General John A. Logan, a prominent Republican Senator from Illinois who played a significant role in veterans affairs and advocated…

  • Turner Hall

    Turner Hall

    Turner Hall held a prominent position within the German-American community in Camden and played a multifaceted role in promoting athletic, political, and social activities. Following the unsuccessful 1848 revolution in Germany, a substantial number of German immigrants, including members of the Turners, sought refuge in the United States. Turners swiftly established societies known as Turnverein…

  • Marshall’s Restaurant and Seafood

    Marshall’s Restaurant and Seafood

    1244 Haddon Avenue, Camden, NJ Between Kaighn Avenue and Liberty Street on Haddon Avenue, across from the famous Donkey’s Place, was a beloved establishment called Marshall’s Restaurant and Seafood. Throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s, the Marshall family ran the business, which had previously been the Forest Hill Tea Room in the 1930’s. In the late…

  • Waldorf Tavern

    Waldorf Tavern

    4100 Federal Street Originally opened as a liquor store on Federal Street, by 1966 The Waldorf Liquor Company had become the Waldorf Bar. The Giambrone family operated the establishment in the 1990’s. In 2000, the bar changed hands and was known as Cafaro’s Waldorf Tavern and, later, Roman’s Waldorf Tavern.