Category: Buildings

  • Turner Hall

    Turner Hall

    Turner Hall held a prominent position within the German-American community in Camden and played a multifaceted role in promoting athletic, political, and social activities. Following the unsuccessful 1848 revolution in Germany, a substantial number of German immigrants, including members of the Turners, sought refuge in the United States.

  • Wildey Hall

    Wildey Hall

    Wildey Hall was built in 1868 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was named for Thomas Wildey who formed the first Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge in NJ, in Camden, in 1829.

  • The Parkade Building

    The Parkade Building

    The Parkade Building was built in the mid-1950’s on Roosevelt Plaza Park. The project was Mayor George E. Brunner’s solution to the downtown parking issues.

  • Eagles Hall

    Eagles Hall

    Eagles Hall was a building built by the Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie No 65, in 1908. The building was later used by various groups until a fire in 1968.

  • A History of Post Offices in Camden

    A History of Post Offices in Camden

    Post Offices in Camden were established in 1803 and the first was called Cooper"s Ferry Post Office, under which name it continued until 1829 when it was changed to Camden. The office was first located in the hotel at the foot of Cooper street.

  • The Walt Whitman House

    The Walt Whitman House

    The Walt Whitman House is a historic building in Camden, New Jersey, United States, and is on the National Register of Historic Places which was the last residence of American poet Walt Whitman, in his declining years before his death. It is located at 328 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, known as Mickle St.…

  • The Benjamin Cooper House

    The Benjamin Cooper House

    The house Benjamin Cooper built in 1734 was one of only two pre-Revolutionary War structures standing and undamaged in 2012.

  • Convention Hall

    Convention Hall

    Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing, and the issue gets even more confusing when you add the fact that Camden had four different armories in the years between 1880 and 1960, and one of them was also called Convention Hall! It doesn’t help either that Convention…

  • Berkley Hall

    Berkley Hall

    Berkley Hall was built in 1895. It stands at 601 Berkley Street, the northeast corner of 6th and Berkeley Streets.

  • Towers Theatre

    The Towers Theatre predates moves and, in the vaudeville era, it featured its own orchestra. It was also used for labor and political meetings at various times.

  • Morgan Hall

    Morgan’s Hall, also known as Morgan Hall, was built by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The cornerstone of Morgan’s Hall, or as it was originally called, Odd Fellows Hall, at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was laid on October 5, 1848.