Category: Manufacturing and Hardware

  • American Cigar Company

    American Cigar Company

    South 6th and Mechanic Streets, Camden, NJ The American Cigar Company was a significant entity in the tobacco industry, particularly in the early 20th century. Established as a result of the consolidation of various smaller companies, it became one of the largest cigar manufacturers in the United States. The company was known for its mass…

  • Haddon Bindery

    Haddon Bindery

    The Haddon Bindery was located on Linden Street, occupying two large buildings. The first building, located at 1104-1120 Linden Street, used to be the Studebaker Garage in 1924, while a series of row homes ran from 1154 to 1194 Linden Street. By 1929, the garage closed, and the homes were demolished to make way for…

  • C. Howard Hunt Pen Company

    C. Howard Hunt Pen Company

    AKA Hunt Pen Company Most every person who has gone through elementary school in the United States of America has sharpened a pencil. For many, many years the ubiquitous BOSTON pencil sharpener was made by the C. Howard Hunt Pen Company of Camden, NJ. Prior to the advent of the ball point pen, the Hunt…

  • Highland Worsted Mills

    Highland Worsted Mills

    Another plant that employed many people in North Camden, the history of Highland Worsted Mills dates back to the time of the Civil War. The building of the Camden Woolen Mill started in September 1863, and the plant was completed and in full operation by January 1865. It was operated until March 18, 1893, when…

  • Antrim Hardware

    Antrim Hardware

    The Antrim Hardware Company operated on Federal Street in East Camden for almost 100 years, before being bought up by a Philadelphia based firm in the mid-1980s. Elwood H. Antrim was born in Jobstown NJ in Burlington County in 1860. Married to S. Janett Pennock in 1882, the Antrims lived in Red Lion, near Vincentown,…

  • Eavenson and Levering Company

    Eavenson and Levering Company

    Founded in 1902 by Alban Eavenson and J. Walter Levering in Philadelphia, the Eavenson & Levering plant scoured wool so it could be processed into yarn. The firm moved to Camden in 1906 and expanded so rapidly that it incorporated in 1916. At one time Eavenson & Levering processed 50,000,000 pounds of wool a year.…

  • Miller Manufacturing Company

    Miller Manufacturing Company

    1100 N. 32nd Street The Miller Manufacturing Company, headed up by William I. Miller, manufactured Wonder Weld and Wonder Solv, chemicals intended for use on automobiles and other equipment equipped with internal combustion engines. The business operated in Camden into the 1960’s.

  • DuBell Lumber Company

    DuBell Lumber Company

    18th & Federal Streets, Camden, NJ William C. DuBell moved from Northampton Township in Burlington County to Camden at some point between 1880 and 1887. Once in Camden he found work as a teamster for the Volney Bennett Lumber Company. His son, Charles G. DuBell followed him into the lumber business. In 1922 William, Charles,…

  • Boudov Coal and Ice Company, Incorporated

    Boudov Coal and Ice Company, Incorporated

    In the days before electric refrigerators and heat fueled by fuel oil or natural gas, the coal and ice dealers fulfilled the needs of Camden’s residences and business. One of those companies was Boudov Coal and Ice Company. Israel Boudov was another of the Jewish merchants who went into business along Kaighn Avenue in Camden,…

  • David Baird Company

    David Baird Company

    The David Baird Company was founded by Irish immigrant David Baird Sr. in 1878. A protege of William Joyce Sewell, David Baird Sr. found a great success in the lumber business, and after Sewell’s death in 1901, led the Republican party in Camden for many years. David Baird’s business was national in nature, as he…

  • Garlock, Inc.

    The factory at 602 North 10th Street belonged to the U.S. Gasket Company at the time the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled. By 1959 U.S. Gasket had become a division of the Garlock Packing Company, and the North Camden plant was involved with plastics. By 1970 the company was known as Garlock Inc. At…

  • Reynolds Leather Company

    Reynolds Leather Company

    816 Division Street (now Ramona Gonzelez Street) Note: Division Street became Ramona Gonzalez Street in 1997, saluting a community leader who co-founded the city’s San Juan Bautista parade. Co-founded by Charles A. Reynolds, the Reynolds Leather Company was one of many business that were involved in the processing and manufacture of leather goods. The business…

  • Camden Hardware Company

    Camden Hardware Company

    1107 Kaighn Avenue The Camden Hardware Company operated at 1107 Kaighn Avenue from about 1910 into the 1960s. It was founded by Simon Cybulski and his wife Martha. The Cybulskis were among the earliest Polish immigrants to Camden. The 1906 City Directory shows the family living at 1443 South 10th Street, not far from St.…