Category: Businesses

  • Briggs Cafe

    Briggs Cafe

    1197 Lansdowne Avenue Briggs Cafe operated at 1197 Lansdowne Avenue, the corner of Louis Street and Lansdowne Avenue in Camden’s predominantly Polish Whitman Park neighborhood. Matthew Derengowski and family were living at 1197 Lansdowne Avenue when the census was taken in April of 1930. Matthew was then working as a hardwood floor scraper. Matthew Derengowski’s…

  • Walt’s Cafe

    Walt’s Cafe

    1197 Lansdowne Avenue Walt’s Cafe was located at 1197 Lansdowne Avenue, on the corner of Lansdowne Avenue and Louis Street. The bar had operated as Briggs Cafe in the late 1940s, and in the late 1960s and early 1970s as Walt’s Cafe. During the 1990’s, the bar was known as the Camelot Lounge.

  • Grand Theater

    Grand Theater

    The Grand Theater was located at 207 Broadway, just south of Mickle Street and adjacent to one-time Camden Mayor Roy R. Stewart‘s men’s wear store. The 1911 Camden City Directory shows Abram Greenberg operating a theater at this address. The Grand remained a popular spot into the early 1950s, when television and a lack of…

  • Hoddell Garage

    Hoddell Garage

    323 Main Street, Camden, NJ William Frank Hoddell was born in Abbeydore, Herefordshire, England to James and Ann Hoddell on November 20, 1892. He came to America in 1912, joining his sister Sarah and brother John. When the 1920 census was taken, William F. Hoddell was living in Philadelphia at the home of his brother-in-law…

  • Haddon Bindery

    Haddon Bindery

    The Haddon Bindery was located on Linden Street, occupying two large buildings. The first building, located at 1104-1120 Linden Street, used to be the Studebaker Garage in 1924, while a series of row homes ran from 1154 to 1194 Linden Street. By 1929, the garage closed, and the homes were demolished to make way for…

  • C. Howard Hunt Pen Company

    C. Howard Hunt Pen Company

    AKA Hunt Pen Company Most every person who has gone through elementary school in the United States of America has sharpened a pencil. For many, many years the ubiquitous BOSTON pencil sharpener was made by the C. Howard Hunt Pen Company of Camden, NJ. Prior to the advent of the ball point pen, the Hunt…

  • Camden Chiselers Club

    Camden Chiselers Club

    The Camden Chiselers Club was organized in 1930 by Camden County Chief of Detectives Larry Doran, attorney Rocco Palese, and several other members of Camden’s political and business community. On January 6, 1938 the club gathered at 1462 Wildwood Avenue, the home of Assemblyman-elect and Mrs. Margaret Palese, to elect officers and celebrate Mrs. Palese’s…

  • Bell and Evans, Inc.

    Bell and Evans, Inc.

    BELL & EVANS INC. in 2023 is a well-known and highly respected producer of chicken, now based in Fredericksburg, PA. The company dates back to the 1890’s, and had roots in Camden. From the 1930’s through the 1960’s the firm had a presence in East Camden. In the early 1930’s the company had a large,…

  • Camden Auto Radiator

    Camden Auto Radiator

    505-509 Arch Street, Camden, NJ Camden Auto Radiator was located at 505-509 Arch Street. Owned by Herman Z. Cutler, it was one of several auto repair establishments that operated on and just off of Arch Street in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Other shops included George’s Auto Service and the Cooperson Brothers auto body shop. The…

  • Boscul Coffee Company

    Boscul Coffee Company

    Formerly William S. Scull & Company Front & Federal Streets Importers, packagers, and distributors of coffee and tea, William S. Scull & Company was founded in 1831 by Joab Scull. In 1858, William S. Scull became the head of the company, which traded for many years as William S. Scull & Company. William S. Scull…

  • Baker-Flick Department Store

    Baker-Flick Department Store

    A landmark in Camden for over 30 years, the Baker-Flick Company store’s origins go back to 1866 when John F. Chew founded what evolved into a dry goods business at 216 Market Street. His sons John H. Chew and Christopher C. Chew both worked in the store. John F. Chew passed away in 1882. Christopher…

  • August F. Walters Chapter 4, VFW

    August F. Walters Chapter 4, VFW

    Disabled American Veterans of the World War 310 Broadway, Camden, NJ The August F. Walters Chapter No.4, Disabled American Veterans of the World War was named for Private August F. Walters, who died while serving with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I. The Chapter was headquartered for many years at 310…

  • Auerbach’s Walkover Shop

    Auerbach’s Walkover Shop

    217 Broadway, Camden, NJ Samuel and Sadie Auerbach lived above and operated a shoe store at 217 Broadway in Camden NJ in the late 1930s and 1940s. Their store was on the same block as one-time Camden Mayor Roy R. Stewart‘s haberdashery. In 1930 Mr. and Mrs. Auerbach lived and operated their store at 219…

  • Highland Worsted Mills

    Highland Worsted Mills

    Another plant that employed many people in North Camden, the history of Highland Worsted Mills dates back to the time of the Civil War. The building of the Camden Woolen Mill started in September 1863, and the plant was completed and in full operation by January 1865. It was operated until March 18, 1893, when…

  • West Jersey Hospital

    West Jersey Hospital

    Mount Ephraim Avenue at Atlantic Avenue This text is primarily from Camden County Medical Society 1846 – 1956, published by the Camden County Medical Society, 1957. West Jersey Hospital opened in 1885, for the purpose of giving relief to the sick who were poor. It bore the name of “Camden Homeopathic Hospital and Dispensary Association,”…