Category: Businesses

  • Greenetz and Greenetz

    Greenetz and Greenetz

    Michael Greenetz was already managing a jewelry store at the time of the 1920 Census, living with his brother, Joseph, at 1468 Haddon Avenue. In 1921 the brothers were partnered with Abraham Pelicoff in a jewelry store which by 1928 was at 833 Broadway. By 1930 Pelicoff had relocated to Atlantic City, where he operated…

  • Borstein Electric Company

    Borstein Electric Company

    The Borstein Electric Company was operated in Camden, NJ by Isadore and Meyer Borstein. The Borstein brothers were the sons of Joseph and Celia Borstein. The Borsteins had come to America from Russia in 1889, living in Kentucky for several years in the 1890s and in Louisiana early in the century, before coming to Camden…

  • Boudov Coal and Ice Company, Incorporated

    Boudov Coal and Ice Company, Incorporated

    In the days before electric refrigerators and heat fueled by fuel oil or natural gas, the coal and ice dealers fulfilled the needs of Camden’s residences and business. One of those companies was Boudov Coal and Ice Company. Israel Boudov was another of the Jewish merchants who went into business along Kaighn Avenue in Camden,…

  • Bert’s Cafe

    Bert’s Cafe

    1226 Broadway From the 1950s through the early 1970s the bar at 1226 Broadway was known as Bert’s Cafe. It had formerly been known as Buradine’s, and the proprietor at that time was Michael Burgo. By 1959 the bar had changed hands, Bert Bottura being the proprietor, and, appropriately enough was called Bert’s Cafe. F.…

  • The Benjamin Cooper House

    The Benjamin Cooper House

    Benjamin Cooper Benjamin Cooper was the grandson of William Cooper, the first Englishman to settle in Camden. The house he built in 1734 was one of only two pre-Revolutionary War structures to survive standing and undamaged in 2012. Occupied as late as 2010, the owners of the property left the building unsecured and the City…

  • The Oasis Motel

    The Oasis Motel

    2000 Admiral Wilson Boulevard, Camden, NJ After the erection of the Hotel Walt Whitman and the opening of the Admiral Wilson Boulevard, many of the same individuals involved in the hotel project became interested in establishing an athletic club on the new thoroughfare. This group was originally known as the City Athletic Club, and among…

  • David Baird Company

    David Baird Company

    The David Baird Company was founded by Irish immigrant David Baird Sr. in 1878. A protege of William Joyce Sewell, David Baird Sr. found a great success in the lumber business, and after Sewell’s death in 1901, led the Republican party in Camden for many years. David Baird’s business was national in nature, as he…

  • East End Trust Company

    East End Trust Company

    The East End Trust Company was first organized on May 26, 1905. Dr. C.F. Hadley was the first president. Other founders and early directors included John Schimpf, Frederick von Nieda, and John Crawford. The East End Trust Company opened for business on July 1, 1920 in temporary quarters at 27th and Cramer Streets. Dr. C.F.…

  • South Camden Trust

    South Camden Trust

    The South Camden Trust Company was opened for business on April 2, 1921. Judge Ralph W.E. Donges was the first president, plumbing and heating contractor William J. Kelly was one of the charter directors. By the mid 1920s the bank was successful enough to the point where a new building was called for. Architect Joseph…

  • The Hotel Plaza

    The Hotel Plaza

    The Hotel Plaza was built at Fifth and Cooper Street in 1927, and was originally called the Plaza Club Hotel. In 1947 it underwent a complete remodeling. Hotel owner S.N. Petchers of New York explained that the high cost of modernization was “justified in my belief that Camden will continue one of the leading industrial…

  • Tydeman & Dooley

    Tydeman & Dooley

    TYDEMAN & DOOLEY were a pair of comedic acrobats who starred on the B.F. Keith vaudeville circuit in the 1900s and 1910s. Vincent A. Tydeman grew up in Camden, and also had a long career as a minor league baseball player. After retiring from baseball and the stage he remained a Camden resident until his…

  • Camden Home for Friendless Children

    Camden Home for Friendless Children

    Established in 1865, The Camden Home for Friendless Children found its roots at 915 Haddon Avenue in Camden, NJ, by the 1890s. Mrs. Lucretia Read, widow of prominent Camden realtor William T. Read Sr. and mother of New Jersey State Senator William T. Read Jr., played a vital role in the institution. Actively engaged in…

  • Garlock, Inc.

    The factory at 602 North 10th Street belonged to the U.S. Gasket Company at the time the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled. By 1959 U.S. Gasket had become a division of the Garlock Packing Company, and the North Camden plant was involved with plastics. By 1970 the company was known as Garlock Inc. At…

  • The Owl’s Studio

    The Owl’s Studio

    418 Market Street In the early 1930s The Owl’s Studio was located in Morgan’s Hall, a building that stood for many years at 418 Market Street. I know little else about the place. The Hotel Hildebrecht, pictured below, was a popular spot in Trenton, and on the outside appears similar to Camden’s Walt Whitman Hotel.…

  • Reynolds Leather Company

    Reynolds Leather Company

    816 Division Street (now Ramona Gonzelez Street) Note: Division Street became Ramona Gonzalez Street in 1997, saluting a community leader who co-founded the city’s San Juan Bautista parade. Co-founded by Charles A. Reynolds, the Reynolds Leather Company was one of many business that were involved in the processing and manufacture of leather goods. The business…