Famous or interesting people of Camden, NJ throughout the years.
Lawrence T. Doran
Larry Doran helped crack several famous cases, helping send killers Walter Dworecki and William John Stephan to New Jersey’s electric chair. He was involved with most every major investigation in Camden County for a quarter of a century.
George Ellis was a member of the Camden Police Department, promoted to Detective on September 26, 1944 by then Chief of Police George W. Frost.
Louis J. Pilcher
Dr. Louis J. Pilcher served as City Planner for the City of Camden in 1930 and 1931.
Samuel M. Shay
Samuel M. Shay was appointed as Judge of the Common Pleas Court in Camden County in March of 1922 by Governor Edwards, being reappointed in 1927.
Garfield S. Pancoast
Garfield Pancoast practiced law in the Camden area, and by January of 1920 was serving as a Judge in Camden, a post he held into the 1930’s.
Jackie Hindle fought professionally from 1923 to 1929 as a lightweight, later going to prison in the early 1930’s. He was also a Camden police officer and bartender.
RONALD CONLEY was a career police officer who served the City of Camden for many years before being struck down at an early age by cancer.
James E. Bryan
In 1899, Dr. Bryan was appointed as the superintendent of Camden’s public schools, a position he held for an impressive tenure until 1931. During his tenure, he played a vital role in shaping the educational landscape of the city.
DR. EDWARD SCHIFF practiced dentistry in Camden and the nearby suburbs from the 1920s to the early 1970s.
David Helm Jr.
As director of Camden’s health department, Dr. David Helm added pertussis and tetanus immunization to the city clinics and school program and eliminated rabies from the area, through rigid control of stray dogs.
Charles B. Helm
Doctor Charles Blaine Helm was born in Camden in 1884. He was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine in 1906 and later owner of the Camden basketball teams.
In 1935 Issie Brody opened a car wash and detailing shop, an “auto laundry” in the parlance of the day, at 540 Washington Street.