Historic Camden, NJ
Walter J. “Weep” Stanton Sr. was a Camden police officer, vaudeville actor, baseball player, butcher, driver, and salesman.
George R. Thompson, born circa 1871, had a multifaceted career spanning from city clerk to justice of the peace, alderman, and police detective in Camden, New Jersey.
Harry Gleason was a professional baseball player out of Camden, who also worked at a railroad yard. His brother went on to play for the Philadelphia Phillies.
Joseph Kobus ran a shoe store in Camden, was married to Mary Kobus—one of Camden’s first female politicians—and became one of the founding members of the National Puzzlers League
Benjamin Cavanaugh was a firefighter, working in both Engine Company 1 and Engine Company 2, until he left the department in 1882.
In 1950, Mrs. Rosensweig generously donated for a new ark in the redesigned chapel at Congregation Beth El, a synagogue that had stood on Park Boulevard, opposite Farnham Park.
On January 8th, 1904, while walking home along Federal Street between South 30th and South 32nd Street in East Camden, Jennie Craig was attacked.
Vincent Scola, also known by the nicknames “Cheeno” and “China,” first came to the attention of law enforcement in 1929 when he was only 18 years old. He was later killed at 38th and Myrtle in East Camden.
Nick Scarduzio was a Camden, NJ police officer who was, himself, subject to a number of law enforcement investigations. His brother was murdered in Bellmawr, NJ.
John Leighton Westcott, notable for his tenure as Mayor of Camden from 1892 to 1898, should not be mistaken for John W. Wescott, who served as a judge in Camden for many years starting in 1885.
John Lenkowski attracted the attention of law enforcement, in February 1928, when he was only 12 years old. In the 1930s, he gained a reputation as one of Camden’s prominent “bad boys.”
Edwin Mills joined the Camden Police Department and while traveling in a police radio car, a bus collided with their vehicle resulting in injuries to both officers.