Category: Streets

  • Bulson Street

    Bulson Street

    Bulson Street once stretched eastward from Broadway to South 11th Street alongside the railroad tracks connecting Camden to the rest of South Jersey. The street is believed to have been named after Gilbert Bulson, a farmer who owned a sizable parcel of land in the area during the 19th century. City Directories dating back to…

  • Budd Street

    Budd Street is situated in Camden’s Centerville neighborhood and made its first appearance in City Directories in 1878. However, the first house with a Budd Street address did not appear until 1891. According to a 1914 map, Budd Street ran east from Ninth Street to the rear fence of Evergreen Cemetery, positioned between Ferry Avenue…

  • Brown Street

    Brown Street in Camden’s Fourteenth Ward is one of two streets bearing that name. It is listed in Camden’s 1906 City Directory and is depicted on a map published in 1914. Originally located in Camden’s Eighth Ward, it became part of the Fourteenth Ward when Yorkship Village was incorporated into Camden after World War I.…

  • Browning Street

    Browning Street, originally named Evergreen Avenue, stretches east from Mount Ephraim Avenue, opposite Evergreen Cemetery. It was likely laid out as early as the 1890s, appearing in the 1906 Camden City Directory and depicted on a map published in 1914. On March 4, 1920, Congressman William J. Browning passed away while fulfilling his duties at…

  • Bridge Avenue

    Bridge Avenue, once a prominent thoroughfare in Camden, is now little more than a memory. Situated between Federal and Mickle Streets, it boasted buildings on both sides stretching as far east as South 5th Street by the 1890s. By 1924, Bridge Avenue ran along the north side of the railroad tracks originating at the Market…

  • Branch Street

    Branch Street

    Branch Street is a one-block street that extends from 1460 Broadway east to South 6th Street. It first appeared in City Directories in 1878. According to the 1906 Camden City Directory, it had been referred to as Commerce Street until some point between the publication of the 1888-1889 and 1890-1891 City Directories.

  • Bradley Avenue

    Bradley Avenue stretches eastward from 1400 Haddon Avenue to Euclid Avenue in the Parkside section of Camden.

  • Boyer Street

    Boyer Street

    Boyer Street, also known as Boyer Court, extended east from Nelson Street for approximately half a block until reaching a dead end at the rear of 1131 South 2nd Street. Pedestrian access was provided by an alley between 1131 and 1133 South 2nd Street. Prior to 1891, there was a block of five wood frame…

  • Boyd Street

    Boyd Street

    Boyd Street, located in East Camden, runs parallel to Marlton Avenue from Carman Street to the city limits in Pennsauken. During the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s, Boyd Street gained notoriety as part of the open-air drug market known as “the Alley.” This market centered on an alley, one end of which was located…

  • Borton Street

    Borton Street spans just one block, running north from Pearl Street to Elm Street, positioned between Ray Street and North 10th Street. It is first documented in city directories in 1890. According to the 1969 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory, nine families resided on Borton Street. However, a reverse directory published in 1980 indicates only…

  • Border Street

    Border Street, later renamed Mt. Ephraim Avenue in the 2000s, was a small street that originally ran from Line Street and Haddon Avenue northward along the railroad tracks. It intersected with Starr Avenue (also later renamed Mt. Ephraim Avenue) at some point between 1914 and 1946, and continued to intersect with Newton Avenue. In more…

  • Birch Street

    Birch Street once extended from Front Street through to Ninth. However, various development projects over the years have caused portions of Birch Street to be removed from maps. In the early 1920s, construction of the Delaware River Bridge led to the demolition of the south side of Birch Street from Front to Third Street. Subsequently,…

  • Berwick Street

    Berwick Street is located in East Camden. Before 1954, when the McGuire Gardens public housing project was constructed, the street commenced at Rand Street. It featured a block of homes in the 2000 block between Boyd and Morse Streets, and another block of homes in the 2100 Block between Morse Street and Marlton Pike, where…

  • Bergen Avenue

    Bergen Avenue is situated in Camden’s Cramer Hill section, east of North 32nd Street. It runs north from Cleveland Avenue, intersecting Hayes Avenue and River Road, and continues across Harrison Avenue towards the Delaware River, ultimately ending at Farragut Avenue. The avenue is likely named after one of the Bergen brothers, Martin V. Bergen or…

  • Belleview Avenue

    Belleview Avenue extends from Baird Boulevard in an easterly direction to Park Boulevard, situated in Camden’s Parkside neighborhood.