Historic Camden, NJ
Seward Street is a relatively obscure yet intriguing part of Camden’s urban landscape. It belongs to a category of “forgotten streets” within the city.
The name Rutledge Walk pays homage to Edward Rutledge, one of the signatories of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Rex Place, a short thoroughfare, extended eastward from the vicinity of 317 North 5th Street, concluding its course at 309 North 6th Street, neatly positioned between Penn and Linden Street.
Richman Alley, documented in the 1946 Camden City Directory, was situated “from Cooper to Carpenter, East of North 11th.”
Chew Court extended north from the 400 Block of Mount Vernon Street, accessible through an arch flanked by 407 and 409 Mount Vernon Street.
Dating back to 1878, Mt. Ephraim Avenue has a history rooted in the past when it operated as the Mount Ephraim Turnpike, functioning as a toll road.
Originally designated as French Street, its origins can be traced to at least 1850. In 1891, four buildings occupied French’s Court; however, by 1906, none of these structures remained.
Fremont Avenue, sometimes denoted as Fremont Street, is situated in East Camden and extends southeastward from Garden Avenue to South 38th Street, running parallel to Federal Street.
The eastern segment of Atlantic Avenue, stretching beyond 7th Street, presents a combination of residential and commercial properties that persists to this day.
Arthur Avenue, established prior to 1887 and named after U.S. President Chester A. Arthur, is situated within the Cramer Hill neighborhood of Camden.
Division Street was renamed Ramona Gonzalez Street in 1997, honoring a community leader who co-founded the city’s San Juan Bautista parade.
In response to petitions from citizens, the State Legislature and County Freeholders authorized the building of a bridge and an extension of State Street to connect with Federal Street.