Streets of Camden, NJ. Streets are representative of the “common name” meaning the names of streets that most people are familiar with. Where possible, we try to keep up with changes based on City Council decisions.
LINE STREET was named because it followed the finally settled line of division between the Cooper and Kaighn properties. It was originally laid out as a twenty foot alley, but in 1848 was made a street fifty foot wide. In 1848, when the city charter was amended by the State legislature, Line Street became the boundary between the Middle and South wards, Arch and Federal Streets serving as the boundary between the Middle and North Wards. Line Street is not to be confused with Liney Ditch, also known as Little Newton Creek and Kaighn’s Run, which served as the southern boundary of the South Ward. In time, under the encroachments of settlers and the march of industrial progress, the stream began to fill up and became merely a ditch, to which, by common consent, the name Line Ditch was given, as it also served to divide the lands of the Kaighn and Mickle families.
SECOND STREET runs north and south, between Front and Third Streets, parallel to the Delaware River as far south as Mechanic Street. It originally ran virtually uninterrupted.
1914 Street Maps
The City of Camden had a very different look than that of today. In 1914, when the map depicted here was published, the Yorkship Square neighborhood had not been built, and the land was to occupy was part of Haddon Heights, a great part of East Camden was part of Stockton Township, and as the Ben Franklin Bridge had not been built, there was no Admiral Wilson Boulevard. In 1914 the airplane was only two years old, there were no airports, thus no Airport Circle!
MARKET STREET must have been named because it had a market, or was meant to anyway. The…
AMBER STREET is a small street that runs parallel to Kaighn Avenue from South 4th Street to South 6th Street. In earlier times, Amber Street extended as far west as South 2nd Street. Amber Street is best known as “the alley next to Triangle Liquor” east of Broadway, and “the alley next to the bank” west of Broadway. Although there were homes on Amber Street as late as the 1910s, by the time the 1924 Camden City Directory was compiled, there were no occupied addresses on Amber Street.
The Streets of Camden
Camden was incorporated in 1828, but many of the streets go back before 1800, and a few of main roads go back prior to the Revolutionary War.