Baird Avenue was home to many of Camden’s most distinguished citizens from different backgrounds, including those in business, law, religion, and even organized crime.
England Place, also referred to as England’s Place, was a brief street stretching for half a block from 408 North Front Street, eventually leading to a dead end.
Garfield S. Pancoast
Garfield Pancoast practiced law in the Camden area, and by January of 1920 was serving as a Judge in Camden, a post he held into the 1930’s.
Jackie Hindle fought professionally from 1923 to 1929 as a lightweight, later going to prison in the early 1930’s. He was also a Camden police officer and bartender.
Tenth Street runs from State Street in North Camden to Morgan Boulevard in the Morgan Village section of Camden, NJ.
RONALD CONLEY was a career police officer who served the City of Camden for many years before being struck down at an early age by cancer.
The Grand remained a popular spot into the early 1950s, when television and a lack of parking caused attendance to fall.
James E. Bryan
In 1899, Dr. Bryan was appointed as the superintendent of Camden’s public schools, a position he held for an impressive tenure until 1931. During his tenure, he played a vital role in shaping the educational landscape of the city.
DR. EDWARD SCHIFF practiced dentistry in Camden and the nearby suburbs from the 1920s to the early 1970s.
David Helm Jr.
As director of Camden’s health department, Dr. David Helm added pertussis and tetanus immunization to the city clinics and school program and eliminated rabies from the area, through rigid control of stray dogs.
Charles B. Helm
Doctor Charles Blaine Helm was born in Camden in 1884. He was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine in 1906 and later owner of the Camden basketball teams.
William F. Hoddell owned a garage at 323 Main Street which was known, appropriately enough, as the Hoddell Garage. This building had been built by Edward Roberts, who operated a livery stable, and later a garage there, prior to William Hoddell’s involvement.