Haddon Bindery Fire - 2008-04-07
Posted in Manufacturing and Hardware

Haddon Bindery

The Haddon Bindery stood in two large buildings at 1104-1120 and 1136-1156 Linden Street, until it was destroyed by fire in April of 2008.

Hunt Pen Company Ad - 1915
Posted in Manufacturing and Hardware

C. Howard Hunt Pen Company

For many, many years the ubiquitous BOSTON pencil sharpener was made by the C. Howard Hunt Pen Company of Camden, NJ., as was the Hunt round point pen and, most famously, the Speedball pen.

Chisels Stock Photo
Posted in Bars and Clubs

Camden Chiselers Club

The Camden Chiselers Club was organized by Larry Doran, attorney Rocco Palese, and other members of Camden’s political and business community, making up a “Who’s Who” of Camden in the 1930’s.

Issie Brody - 1940-01-02
Posted in People

Issie Brody

In 1935 Issie Brody opened a car wash and detailing shop, an “auto laundry” in the parlance of the day, at 540 Washington Street.

Bell and Evans Advertisement - 1938-01-06
Posted in Businesses

Bell and Evans, Inc.

BELL & EVANS INC. in 2023 is a well-known and highly respected producer of chicken, now based in Fredericksburg, PA. The company dates back to the 1890’s, and had roots in Camden.

Herman Z Cutler
Posted in People

Herman Z. Cutler

HERMAN Z. CUTLER is best remembered in Camden for the company he founded, Cutler Metal Products Company, which operated at 1021-1025 Line Street into the 1980s.

Arthur Colsey - 1936-09-16
Posted in People

Arthur Colsey

Politically active, Arthur Colsey served on City Council from the Second Ward from 1907 to 1911, as well as serving in the Camden Police Dept, eventually serving as Chief.

Overturned Car Crash- Stock Photo
Posted in Auto Repair

Camden Auto Radiator

Camden Auto Radiator was located at 505-509 Arch Street. Owned by Herman Z. Cutler, it operated on and just off of Arch Street in the 1920’s and 1930’s.

Scull Coffee Advertisement- 1928
Posted in Breweries and Coffeeshops

Boscul Coffee Company

Importers, packagers, and distributors of coffee and tea, William S. Scull & Company was founded in 1831 by Joab Scull, later changing its name to the Boscul Coffee Company.

Baker-Flick Store - 1928
Posted in Businesses

Baker-Flick Department Store

A landmark in Camden for over 30 years, the Baker-Flick Company store’s origins go back to 1866 when John F. Chew founded what evolved into a dry goods business.

Buried Veterans Cemetery Stock Photo
Posted in Bars and Clubs

August F. Walters Chapter 4, VFW

The August F. Walters Chapter No.4, Disabled American Veterans of the World War was named for Private August F. Walters, who died while serving with the American Expeditionary Force in France during World War I.

Auerbachs Walkover Shop Advertisement Postcard
Posted in Retail

Auerbach’s Walkover Shop

Samuel and Sadie Auerbach lived above and operated a shoe store at 217 Broadway in Camden NJ in the late 1930s and 1940s.