Charles T. Humes, Jr.
Charles T. Humes was a police captain for the Camden Police Department, as well as a reporter and columnist for the Courier-Post.
Eighth Street over the years has expanded far beyond its original length, now running from Morgan Boulevard to Pyne Point in North Camden.
Named for famous figures of English literature, the streets of Poet’s Row (Byron, Burns and Milton Streets) ran east and west from North 2nd Street, north of Erie Street.
Harry C. Anderson
HARRY C. ANDERSON was born in April of 1873 to Isaac Anderson and his wife, the former Sarah Madison. The family was living at 810 Kimber Street in North Camden when the census was taken in 1880. On December 3, 1904 Harry C. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He was then living with his wife, the former Margaret A. Cummisky, at 1147 Federal Street. He reported for duty on July 1, 1905. On September 1, 1909 Harry Anderson was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred from Engine Company 5 to Ladder Company 1, whose captain at the time was Joseph Maxwell. Making the Supreme Sacrifice in the line of duty, Harry Anderson died from internal injuries suffered when a trolley car crashed into Ladder Company 1’s apparatus at North 4th and Arch Streets on April 15. He was taken to Cooper Hospital, where he died on May 4, 1916. He was buried at Harleigh Cemetery.
George B. Anderson
GEORGE B. ANDERSON was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.
MRS. AMANDA ALLOWAY was born in New Jersey in November of 1843, according to the 1900 Census. By 1863 she had married Joseph Alloway. A son, Charles Alloway, was born in December of 1863. Another son, Joseph came November 22, 1865, and there was also a daughter, Ida May, was born around 1867. By the time the Census was taken in 1870 the Alloways had moved to Gloucester City, New Jersey. The 1872 City Directory shows the family at 901 North Front Street in North Camden. The 1878 City Directory shows them at 8 Pine Avenue in South Camden. The 1880 Census shows Joseph and Amanda Alloway and their three children still living on Pine Avenue, which was renamed Clare Street shortly thereafter. This street is one block long, running from Pine Street south to Division Street between South 3rd and South 4th Streets. Joseph Alloway worked as a carpenter. The 1890 and 1896 City Directories show Joseph and Amanda Alloway living at 510 Division Street. The 1898 City Directory shows that Amanda Alloway was now a widow.
You must log in to post a comment.