• Bowman Matlack

    Bowman Matlack was a well-known figure in South Camden. According to the 1880 Census, he lived with his wife Priscilla and their three daughters at 635 South 5th Street. The Matlacks had six children in total, but by 1910, only three were still living. In 1880, Bowman Matlack worked as a fish dealer. He also…

    Read More…

  • Edward Warhoftig

    Born in Philadelphia, Edward Warhoftig, better known as “Broadway Eddie,” opened a record store at Broadway and Mickle Street in 1966. Remaining in the city when many other merchants left, Broadway Eddie and his stores, which included a men’s wear and dollar store, became a Camden institution during his 38 years in business there. A…

    Read More…

  • Bishop George V. Murry

    Bishop George V. Murry

    Bishop George Vance Murry, S.J., was born in Camden, New Jersey, in 1948. After graduating from Camden Catholic High School, he attended St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and St. Mary’s Seminary and University in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1972, he entered the Society of Jesus, commonly known as the Jesuits, and was ordained to the…

    Read More…

  • Thomas J. Francis

    Thomas J. Francis

    Thomas J. Francis was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on May 6, 1831. He moved to Camden in 1850, where he lived for most of his life. Around 1853, he married his wife Catherine, and they had three children: a son, Edward, followed by daughters Frances and Kate. On September 11, 1862, Thomas enlisted in the…

    Read More…

  • Bruce A. Whittick

    Bruce A. Whittick, also known as Bruce A. Whittick-Leary, was born in Camden, New Jersey, on December 12, 1947. He briefly served in the United States Air Force from July 1, 1967, to September 1, 1967, before receiving an honorable medical discharge. On January 24, 1975, he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. In…

    Read More…

  • Orris W. Smith

    Orris W. Smith was born in Camden on September 8, 1920, to Edward and Catherine Smith. The 1924 City Directory lists the family at 1113 Carpenter Street. By 1929, they had moved to 2827 Concord Avenue in Cramer Hill, and by April of the following year, they had relocated next door to 2825 Concord Avenue.…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.