Locust Street (formerly Oak Street)

Southwest Corner of Locust Street & Spruce Street - 1912 Photo. Approximately 844 Locust Street to 854 Locust Street, Camden, NJ.

Originally, Locust Street extended to the south from Beckett Street, reaching as far as Mechanic Street, situated between South 2nd Street and South 3rd Street. The presence of Locust Street can be traced back to the 1867 Camden City Directory. During the 1870s, the 600 block of Locust Street (formerly John Street), and around 1883, the 700 block of Locust Street underwent a renaming, formerly referred to as Oak Street.

In the latter half of the 20th century, the landscape of Locust Street saw alterations with the introduction of an industrial building and a parking lot. This transformation resulted in the truncation of Locust Street, and it now runs from Pine Street to the south, ultimately reaching Mechanic Street.

For numerous decades, Locust Street played host to an array of residences and businesses. However, in the aftermath of World War II, the City of Camden made a pivotal decision to designate all development west of South 3rd Street as industrial. In a gradual process, this led to the disappearance of homes, businesses, and even entire streets. The final remaining structure on Locust Street, an abandoned residence situated at 1128 Locust, positioned between Chestnut and Sycamore Streets, met its demise following a fire in September of 2010. As a result, Locust Street today stands as a street where there is quite literally nothing to be found.


Location

Hover or click on marker for additional details



Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Locust Street (formerly Oak Street)

    Locust Street (formerly Oak Street)

    The presence of Locust Street can be traced back to the 1867 Camden City Directory, with a number of street renamings along the way.

    Read More…

  • Wilson L. Bromley

    Wilson L. Bromley came into the world in New Jersey, around the year 1853, as the child of Joseph and Ann Eliza Bromley. His father, Joseph Bromley, earned his living as a boilermaker. The Bromley family was residing in South Camden when the 1860 Census was conducted. At that time, the household consisted of four…

    Read More…

  • The Year 1842 – Camden, NJ

    The first night boat between Camden and Philadelphia was put on July 4, 1842, by the Camden and Philadelphia Ferry Company, the last boat leaving Camden at 9:00 PM and Philadelphia at 9:30 PM.

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.