HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
Saturday morning at 8 o’clock the two-platoon system of the Fire Department becomes effective. At that hour the first shift will go on duty and remain until 6 p.m. when the second squad goes on, remaining until 8 a.m. That will be the procedure in the department henceforth, the schedule being so arranged that every third day there will be a 24-hour shift to let the other off. Every man will have 24 hours off every sixth day.