Tag: Thomas H. Dudley

  • Thomas H. Dudley

    Thomas H. Dudley

    Thomas H. Dudley, a prominent figure born on October 9, 1819, in Camden, New Jersey, left an indelible mark on law, diplomacy, and local development during the 19th century. Dudley embarked on a legal career, gaining admission to the New Jersey Bar in 1845. His pivotal role as Camden County Clerk involved crafting the influential…

  • Octavius V. Catto Elementary School

    2930 Saunders Street, Camden, NJ The Octavius V. Catto Elementary School, situated at 2930 Saunders Street in East Camden, was erected in 1929 under the leadership of Mayor Winfield S. Price. It replaced an existing school originally constructed by the Town of Stockton, which became part of the Camden school system in 1899 following Stockton’s…

  • Dudley Grange – Tracking History

    Dudley Grange – Tracking History

    By Thomas A. Bergbauer, Retired Courier Post Editor One of Camden’s many parks is Dudley Grange and at one time the old Dudley mansion once stood on its grounds like a proud old lady. It was demolished in 1980, the victim of vandals and finally an arsonist. The mansion was built in 1871 by Thomas…

  • Camden, NJ, Abraham Lincoln Lore
  • East Camden

    East Camden

    Originally a part of Stockton Township, the area that is now known as East Camden was merged into Camden proper in 1899 along with the neighborhood now known as Cramer Hill. It included the villages of Wrightsville, Stockton, and Rosedale, which lay along Federal Street. The area was served by the Pavonia Railroad Station, located…

  • Federal Street

    Federal Street

    Federal Street was originally called Joseph Cooper’s Lane, and ran from the river to the old Haddonfield Road. In 1803 Joshua Cooper, who was an ardent Federalist, called it Federal Street. His father, Daniel Cooper, had, in 1764, built a large three-story brick house and established a ferry about the same time to Philadelphia. This…

  • Camden Trust Co. 75 Years Old; Leads South Jersey in Deposits

    Camden Trust Co. 75 Years Old; Leads South Jersey in Deposits

    Camden Courier-Post – July 1, 1948 The Camden Trust Co. marks its seventy-fifth anniversary today. Opening for business in modest quarters at 227 Federal street, July 1, 1873, the bank now has a main office at Broadway and Market street and five branches—Haddonfield, Gloucester City, Blackwood, one in South Camden and one in East Camden.…

  • 1861 – The First War Meeting in Camden

    1861 – The First War Meeting in Camden

    On the 16th of April, 1861, three days after the Confederates fired upon Fort Sumter, at the entrance of Charleston Harbor, a large number of loyal and patriotic citizens of Camden City and County issued the following vigorous and spirited response to the President’s proclamation: To the President Of the United States: The unparalleled events…

  • The Year 1841 – Camden, NJ

    The Year 1841 – Camden, NJ

    On March 12, 1841 the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company was chartered. It continued as a mutual association until July 1, 1870, when it was converted into a stock company, although it was not until 1881 that the word “Mutual” was dropped from the name and the name Camden Fire Insurance Association was adopted. The…