Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, early 1950s

Haddon Avenue and Vesper Avenue

From the book, Camden County Medical Society, 1846-1956, published by the Camden County Medical Society, 1957

Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden, New Jersey, was opened to patients on July 1, 1950, for the care of all races, colors, and creeds. The hospital is owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Francis, Allegany, New York, who have thirteen other hospitals from Massachusetts to Florida. It is a general hospital with 302 beds and 60 bassinets. It is fully approved by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals as well as by the Council on Medical Education of the A.M.A. for the training of interns.

The cost of the construction was $3,940,000 and the equipment reached a cost of $800,000. It was financed chiefly through a loan from an insurance company. Some of the funds were raised through public subscription, approximately $1,200,000. The interest and the amortization of the principal of the loan amount to five hundred dollars a day.

Current plans are for a Nursing School and Residence at a cost of $1,500,000.


Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

    Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

    Haddon Avenue and Vesper Avenue From the book, Camden County Medical Society, 1846-1956, published by the Camden County Medical Society, 1957 Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden, New Jersey, was opened to patients on July 1, 1950, for the care of all races, colors, and creeds. The hospital is owned and operated by the Sisters…

    Read More…

  • Haddon Avenue

    Haddon Avenue

    Haddon Avenue is a historic road in Camden County, New Jersey that has played an important role in the region’s development since at least 1792. The road is named after Elizabeth Haddon, who established a settlement in the late 1600’s that would become the town of Haddonfield. Today, Haddon Avenue is a major commercial and…

    Read More…

  • In Camden, A Neighborhood Bar with The Works

    In Camden, A Neighborhood Bar with The Works

    Philadelphia Inquirer – June 16, 1993 Cheers to Donkey’s Place, Still Kicking After 50 Years By Gwen Florio, Inquirer Staff Writer CAMDEN — It’s the classic neighborhood bar: all soothing dark wood and low, easy talk and the murmur of a ballgame from a discreet corner television. So it gives you a jolt to walk…

    Read More…

  • Bishop’s Hospital Fund Oversubscribed $200,000

    Camden Courier-Post – May 19, 1964 Ground for Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital was broken September 7, 1947. More than 2,500 persons saw Bishop Eustace turn the first spadeful of earth at the site on Haddon Avenue near Euclid. He then blessed the ground. The ceremony, attended by church dignitaries, civic and professional leaders, was…

    Read More…

  • 4 Camden Teenagers Killed In Car Dive From Berlin Span

    4 Camden Teenagers Killed In Car Dive From Berlin Span

    Camden Courier-Post – March 19, 1963 Driver, 5 Others Survive Four Camden teenagers were killed and six others injured shortly after 8 p.m. Monday when the car in which they were riding crashed off a bridge in Berlin Borough. The dead were identified by state police as: The driver, William Hummel, 21, of 1033 Bergen…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.