Camden Courier-Post – February 1, 1938
30 Men Get Certificates as Leaders and Five Troops Receive Star Awards
Trophy for Veteran
Warren Webster, Jr., was elected president of the executive board of Camden County Council, Boy Scouts of America, at its annual dinner meeting last night. He succeeds J. William Markeim. The meeting was in the junior ballroom of the Hotel Walt Whitman, with 150 members attending.
Others elected were A. W. Stedman, honorary president; Joshua C. Haines, honorary commissioner; Dr. E. W. Roberts, first vice president; Albert M. Bean, second vice president; Walter G. Garlan, third vice president; Elmer J. Williams, treasurer; Col. G. Barrett Glover, commissioner; S. Lewis Davis, Club commissioner; Webster and Davis, National Council representatives; Stedman, trustee for one year, Webster, trustee for two years and Lorenzo J. List, trustee for three years.
All were named by a nominating committee of which William J. Strandwitz was chairman. Bean was chairman of the meeting and List was toastmaster at the dinner which preceded it.
As chairman of the training committee, Bean presented certificates to 30 men who had completed courses in Scout leadership.
Commissioner Davis presented awards to the following “star” troops: 65, of Haddonfield; 117, Runnemede; 112, West Collingswood; 105, Collingswood, and 82, Westmont.
The Council awarded to Edward W. Tomkins a bronze statuette of a Boy Scout as a trophy in recognition of 25 years service as a Scouter.
Tomkins, who began his career as a Scouter in 1913, has been successively assistant scoutmaster of Troop 2, scoutmaster of Troop 3, scout master of Troop 21, assistant camp director of county Scout camps, field executive of Camden city, merit badge councilor and examiner and has held numerous other positions organizing and furthering the Boy Scout movement.
The principal speaker was E. Urner Goodman, national director of program, whose subject was “Building a Stronger Generation,” the theme of the anniversary week of the Boy Scouts to be celebrated February 6 to 13.
There was an invocation by Rev. Albert F. Banse, pastor of the Francis Childs M. E. Church, West Collingswood, and a program of vocal selections by Mrs. L. J. List, soloist, and the Franklin Quartet.