All the tension connected with advance preparations will subside at 8 o’clock tonight when two of the eight teams in the Camden County Industrial League start the race for the 1930 championship. The opening event will be a clash between R.M. Hollingshead and the Peerless Kid Quintets and the action will be served as a preliminary feature to the Eastern League contest at the Convention Hall annex.
Just one hundred years ago today, a little group of men went before the Legislature and asked that body to incorporate as a city the straggling and struggling village of Camden. If these men could now visit the city born that day through their efforts, they might well feel that their labor of love was not in vain. For the village of 1,143 people in 1828 has become a great city of close to 200,000 today. By estimate of the United States Census Department, the population on July 1, 1927, was 133,100. This does not include the thickly populated interlocking suburbs, neither does it make allowance for the enormous influx of home-seekers who have followed Camden Bridge to the Jersey side of the Delaware since 1926.