Tag: West Jersey Ferry

1800 illustration of horse powered ferry on the Camden shore
Posted in Historical Accounts

Ferries Across the Delaware – Tracking History

One report shows that 61 people perished in the fire and 30 had survived. Others were reported either unaccounted for or missing.

100 Block of South State Street - West of 2nd Street - Circa 1910
Posted in Streets

State Street

In response to petitions from citizens, the State Legislature and County Freeholders authorized the building of a bridge and an extension of State Street to connect with Federal Street.

The photograph is from around 1905-1906. The newly built Second Courthouse is visible in background. Access to the building had been block by a wall, upon which advertisements had been placed for theatrical presentations. The stage adaptation of novelist Harold MacGrath's The Man On The Box is advertised on the lower right hand corner of the wall.
Posted in Government

Camden County Courthouse

The selection of a site in Camden opened up another controversy: It was believed that the location of the Court House would have a large influence in ferry usage.

View of Hotel Ridgway - Southeast corner of Market Street & Delaware Avenue - 1914
Posted in Hotels and Motels

Hotel Ridgway

The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. It was run by different parties through the ensuing years. Stephen Parsons operated the business from 1884 until his passing in 1890.

William Van Pfefferle
Posted in People

William Van Pfefferle

William Van Pfefferle, rose through the ranks of the Camden Fire Department and served as Chief of Department from 1950 to 1958.

West Jersey Ferry (aka Market Street Ferry) Depot, Circa 1895
Posted in Ferries

West Jersey Ferry (aka Market Street Ferry)

Photos and excerpts about the West Jersey Ferry (aka Market Street Ferry) Depot

The Arctic - built in 1879 for The West Jersey Ferry
Posted in Historical Accounts

The West Jersey Ferry (Excerpted)

This ferry was established about 1800 by Abraham Browning, Sr., an intelligent and enterprising farmer of the territory now braced in Stockton Township.

John G Hutchison
Posted in People

John G. Hutchison

John G. Hutchison was the superintendent of the West Jersey Ferry for more than 30 years and was a Camden “lifer.”

1808 illustration of Philadelphia - Camden horse ferry
Posted in Historical Accounts

Vintage Photos of the Central Camden Waterfront

In the beginning Camden was just settlement of a few farms and a couple ferries to and from Philadelphia run by the Cooper Family.

William J Sewell
Posted in People

William Joyce Sewell

William Joyce Sewell was born on December 6, 1835 in Ireland. Orphaned at a young age, he emigrated to the United States in 1851. He was for a time employed in mercantile business in New York City, made several voyages as a sailor on merchant vessels, afterward engaged in business in Chicago, IL. He moved to Camden NJ in 1860.

Charles A. Aceto
Posted in People

Charles A. Aceto

CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with his father in 1900. He threw himself into his education and into becoming proficient in the English language. He went into the bus and taxi business for himself with one station wagon, and by 1924 was operating a fleet of eight buses, providing regular service between the Market Street ferry and Parkside.

John G Hutchison
Posted in News Articles

Captain Hutchison Buried

Captain John G. Hutchison, the veteran superintendent of the West Jersey Ferry was laid at rest in Evergreen Cemetery this afternoon.