State Street, established in 1856, stretches from the Delaware River to Cooper’s Creek (now known as the Cooper River) in North Camden. Before its construction, farmers and residents in the eastern and northern lands near the Delaware had to travel long distances to reach markets on Vine Street and the ferry across the river, as the only bridge over the Cooper was at Federal Street. In response to petitions from citizens, the State Legislature and County Freeholders authorized the building of a bridge and an extension of State Street to connect with Federal Street, which was then outside of Camden’s city limits and referred to as the “Moorestown and Mount Holly Road.” The newly constructed road was designed to join the existing Ellisburg-Marlton Road, which had been laid out in 1796, resulting in State Street on one side of Federal Street and Marlton Avenue on the other.
The owners of the Federal Street Ferry and Market Street Ferry initially opposed the bridge and road construction, fearing it would lead to a loss of business. Despite the opposition, a wooden drawbridge was authorized in 1857, and the road was completed. In 1892, the wooden bridge was replaced with a steel drawbridge, and in 2013, another bridge replaced the 1892 structure.
In the 1947 Camden City Directory, State Street’s starting point was at Delaware Avenue.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
Arthur Avenue, established prior to 1887 and named after U.S. President Chester A. Arthur, is situated within the Cramer Hill neighborhood of Camden.
In response to petitions from citizens, the State Legislature and County Freeholders authorized the building of a bridge and an extension of State Street to connect with Federal Street.
Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ.
Cooper Street, named after the prominent Cooper family, holds a significant place in Camden’s history as one of its oldest streets.
JOSEPH A. ALCORN was born in Camden, New Jersey in February of 1919 to Mary and William Alcorn. He was the youngest of eight children, coming after James G., William Joseph, Rose, Marie Frances, Thomas J., Genevieve, and Rita. The family came to Camden some time after 1914. By 1918 they had settled at 906…
here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry,…