South Camden Trust

South Camden Trust Building. August 2, 2003

The South Camden Trust Company was opened for business on April 2, 1921.

Judge Ralph W.E. Donges was the first president, plumbing and heating contractor William J. Kelly was one of the charter directors. By the mid 1920s the bank was successful enough to the point where a new building was called for.

Architect Joseph Hettel of the firm Lackey & Hettel of Camden NJ was selected to design the new building, to be built at the corner of Broadway & Ferry Avenue, across the street form Judge Donges‘ boyhood home. Contractor James W. Draper began operations on the new banking house of the South Camden Trust Company, at Broadway and Ferry Avenue, on Monday, March 1, 1926.

The bank did not survive; by 1938 it had been vacant for years and taxes were in arrears. A settlement was come to in early 1938.

By 1947 the building was the home of the First Italian Pentecostal Church. Although the building has changed hands over the years, it remains open as a church to this day.


Photo Gallery


Related Articles

  • Ralph W. E. Donges

    Ralph W. E. Donges

    Ralph Waldo Emerson Donges, born on May 5, 1868, in Donaldson, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, to Dr. John Washington Donges and Rose Marguerite Renaud Donges, was a distinguished legal and political figure in Camden, NJ. His father, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and a practicing physician, and his French-born mother, provided a nurturing environment…

    Read More…

  • Arthur H. Holl

    Arthur H. Holl

    Arthur Holl was born on April 17, 1887, in New Jersey to Lewis F. Holl and Willimina Holl. His father and uncle, George M. Holl, were prominent real estate developers and builders in Camden. They owned the Holl Block, a row of buildings on Broadway between Mickle and Stevens Streets. On his mother’s side, his…

    Read More…

  • South Camden Trust

    South Camden Trust

    The South Camden Trust Company was opened for business on April 2, 1921. Judge Ralph W.E. Donges was the first president, plumbing and heating contractor William J. Kelly was one of the charter directors. By the mid 1920s the bank was successful enough to the point where a new building was called for. Architect Joseph…

    Read More…

  • A history of banking in Camden, NJ

    A history of banking in Camden, NJ

    Camden Banking The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank…

    Read More…

  • Tax Title Liens Net $112,311 in Month

    Tax Title Liens Net $112,311 in Month

    Camden Courier-Post – February 11, 1938 Collections on Liquidations Set Record for City, Brunner Reports By A. Charles Corotis Liquidation of tax title liens produced $112,311.70 for Camden’s treasury during January, Mayor Brunner announced yesterday. “The figure represents the greatest revenue from this source in any one month of the city’s history,” Brunner added. In…

    Read More…

  • Bridge Board to Take 27 Properties as Safety Zone for Rail Underpass

    Bridge Board to Take 27 Properties as Safety Zone for Rail Underpass

    Camden Courier-Post – February 4, 1933 Fourth Street Houses Between Main and Linden Considered Valuation Last Year set at $133,875, But May Go to $110,000 For 1933 Landmarks Included Twenty-seven properties, some of which are landmarks of generations past, are to be acquired by the Delaware River Joint Commission to make way for the proposed…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.