In 1820 the road known as “Ferry Road,” present-day Ferry Avenue, was opened from the southerly end of Front Street in Kaighnton, the settlement at Kaighn Avenue and the Delaware River, across the lands of Joseph Kaighn and Isaac Mickle to the center of the road leading from Woodbury to the Ferries which we know today as Broadway, and was at first called “the straight road to Woodbury” or the “Branch Road.” In 1832 it was extended to the Mount Ephraim pike (Mount Ephraim Avenue), the extension on one of the early maps being designated “The Road to the Race Track” while on Sanders’ map of 1855 it is named “The Kaighn’s Point Road.” The first part of this road was four rods wide [1 rod is 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet—ed.], while the extension of 1832 was only laid out two rods in width. At Mount Ephraim Avenue the extension met a road which passed the Charles Cooper plantation (Woodlynne), and was commonly known as the “Cooper Road.”
In 1859 Ferry Avenue was taken over and improved by the Stockton and Newton Turnpike Company and converted into a toll road with toll-gates at Mount Ephraim Avenue and the White Horse Pike. The incorporators of the turnpike were closely allied with the Kaighn’s Point Ferry and its operation was based on its serving as a “feeder” for the ferry company. The name is distinctive of the part of the county through which the road ran; Stockton being then the local name for the part of the present city west of Evergreen Cemetery, being the present Jackson Street and Ferry Avenue, while east of Mount Ephraim Avenue the road passed through what was then Newton Township. The company abandoned its charter about 1875 and the highway known today as Ferry Avenue reverted to the city.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
Salem Street, a brief one-block stretch, meanders from Ferry Avenue in the north to Viola Street in the south. The pages of history reveal that the initial residential appearance along the 1800 block of Salem Street dates back to the 1890-1891 Camden City Directory. Notably, homes are documented at addresses 1831 through 1841, with additional…
GEORGE ACKERLE was born December 14, 1920 in New Jersey. He was one of at least seven children born to Paul F. and Anna Ackerle. The Ackerles lived in Deptford NJ through at least April of 1930. Paul Ackerle was a baker by trade, working in Camden as early as 1918, and young George followed…
In 1859 Ferry Avenue was taken over and improved by the Stockton and Newton Turnpike Company and converted into a toll road with toll-gates at Mount Ephraim Avenue and the White Horse Pike.
Democratic speakers, urging suffrage in the interest of A. Harry Moore, gubernatorial candidate, and the local Democratic ticket, will invade seven political clubs in the city and county tonight.
Four members of the notorious North Cramer Hill gang, two of them participants in the robbery in which one bandit was killed after wounding a city detective, were sentenced to state prison terms by Judge Samuel M. Shay yesterday.
Among the latest victims of the grip in Camden are Mayor Hatch, Chief of Police Foster, City Clerk Worry Kramer, former City Counsel J. Wiliard Morgan, Charles R. Baron, and Policemen George Cooper, Harry Miller, James Ware and George Anderson.