Post 102 – Grand Army of the Republic
General John A. Logan Post No. 102 was established on February 7, 1887, in Camden with an initial membership of 11 veterans. The post was named after General John A. Logan, a prominent Republican Senator from Illinois who played a significant role in veterans affairs and advocated for establishing Memorial Day as a national holiday. The first commander of the post was William Martin, followed by a succession of commanders including Edwin F. Allen, William Jones, Charles Baker, Samuel P. Budd, John P. Casner, Reuben B. Cole, Reuben Colt, Daniel Cook, W. H. Cooper, Jacob Cutshall, Isaac Hoey, R. H. Lee, Peter McArdie, L. S. McCormick, J. S. McCormick, William J. Orem, John F. Palmer, Hiram C. Pfile, Benjamin Putnam, Charles Shivers Jr., William Stansbury, Howe K. Seddinger, Charles Fetters, Freeman Bibber, Charles Hope, John Weygand, John D. Leaming, and Thomas H. Walters.
In 1906, the post held its meetings on the first and third Thursday evenings of each month at the William Penn Hall located at 306 North 27th Street in East Camden. This building had previously served as the firehouse for the William Penn Hook & Ladder Company before East Camden and Cramer Hill were annexed to Camden in 1899.
The General John A. Logan Post No. 102 remained active at least until 1917, with John D. Leaming serving as the commander during that time. The post sent Peter Mayer as its delegate to the 1917 state encampment, with Charles Stites acting as the alternate. However, the post was not listed in the 1918 Camden City Directory, indicating that it had either disbanded or merged with other posts such as the Thomas M.K. Lee Post No. 5 or the William B. Hatch Post No. 37, which were still active at that time.
J. B. VAN SCIVER & CO. This firm occupy a handsome building on the corner of Delaware avenue and Federal street. It is of mammoth proportions and is visible along the whole river front. Furniture of all descriptions, from the plain and substantial to the aesthetic, artistic and costly, are to be found in its…
The General John A. Logan Post No. 102 remained active at least until 1917, with John D. Leaming serving as the commander during that time.
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He…