27th Street

27th Street and Federal Street - 1950s

27th Street, located in the neighborhoods of Cramer Hill and East Camden, has a rich history that spans several decades. Originally known as Fulton Street, it underwent significant transformations over time.

Prior to 1899, 27th Street was situated in Stockton Township. It extended from the southern end of Cramer Park, which was bounded by 29th Street and the Cramer Hill Ferry terminus. At that time, the street ran parallel to Main Street, which is now known as North 26th Street and should not be confused with the other Main Street in Camden.

As the years went by, 27th Street underwent changes and expansions. It crossed River Road and passed notable landmarks such as Engine Company 11 of the Camden Fire Department and the Pavonia Reservoir, which is presently known as Veteran’s Park. Continuing its path, the street intersected with what is now Howell Street, where the Camden County Jail stands today, and passed the former location of the Pavonia Railroad Station on the left.

After crossing Westfield Avenue and Federal Street, 27th Street transformed into South 27th Street. It stretched all the way to Marlton Avenue, marking the border between Camden and Pennsauken Township.

The construction of 27th Street occurred gradually over a span of approximately 70 years, starting around 1875 and continuing until about 1945. During this time, the neighborhood evolved, and various changes took place along the street. Notable developments included the demolition of the Pavonia Rail Station, the construction of a bridge over the railroad tracks, and the completion of Veteran’s Park following a flood caused by the failure of the reservoir walls.

By the early 1940s, row homes had been constructed on 27th Street, extending close to Marlton Avenue. The final addition to the street’s development in the 20th century was the construction of the Line Street Apartments, located at the intersection of South 27th Street, Line Street, and Marlton Avenue.

Among the notable residents of 27th Street was football player Mike Rozier, who achieved fame as a star running back at Woodrow Wilson High School, during his college career, and while playing for the Houston Oilers in the National Football League.

Overall, 27th Street has witnessed significant changes and growth, becoming a prominent thoroughfare in the Cramer Hill and East Camden neighborhoods, while preserving its historical significance.


Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Herman F. Niessner

    Herman F. Niessner was born on March 8, 1891, in Pennsylvania to German immigrant parents. His father, Frederick Niessner, worked as a machinist for Baldwin Locomotive in Philadelphia and moved the family to the Cramer Hill section of Camden in 1894. That year, Frederick purchased a lot from Alfred Cramer and built twin houses at…

    Read More…

  • Marlton Avenue

    Marlton Avenue begins at Federal Street and effectively serves as an extension of State Street, which runs east from the Delaware River, crossing the Cooper River and the Pavonia railroad yards to Federal Street. Marlton Avenue then continues eastward to the city limits at Highland Avenue. It is one of the five major streets in…

    Read More…

  • Arthur Avenue

    Arthur Avenue

    Arthur Avenue, named after U.S. President Chester A. Arthur, is situated within the Cramer Hill neighborhood of Camden. The street’s layout was established prior to 1887, with its christening as “Arthur Avenue” occurring after Chester Arthur assumed the presidency in late 1881. Maps predating World War I illustrate Arthur Avenue tracing the course of the…

    Read More…

  • 27th Street

    27th Street

    27th Street, located in the neighborhoods of Cramer Hill and East Camden, has a rich history that spans several decades. Originally known as Fulton Street, it underwent significant transformations over time. Prior to 1899, 27th Street was situated in Stockton Township. It extended from the southern end of Cramer Park, which was bounded by 29th…

    Read More…

  • Federal Street

    Federal Street

    Federal Street was originally called Joseph Cooper’s Lane, and ran from the river to the old Haddonfield Road. In 1803 Joshua Cooper, who was an ardent Federalist, called it Federal Street. His father, Daniel Cooper, had, in 1764, built a large three-story brick house and established a ferry about the same time to Philadelphia. This…

    Read More…

  • Harry J. Allebach

    Harry J. Allebach

    Harry J. Allebach was born on November 24, 1897, in Norristown, PA. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. According to the 1920 Census, they resided at 2913 High Street in East Camden, along with their daughter Frances, in his mother-in-law’s home. At that time, Harry worked as an electrician at a “car shop,” likely referring…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.