The Hotel Plaza was built at Fifth and Cooper Street in 1927, and was originally called the Plaza Club Hotel. In 1947 it underwent a complete remodeling. Hotel owner S.N. Petchers of New York explained that the high cost of modernization was “justified in my belief that Camden will continue one of the leading industrial cities in the country and entitled to the kind of top flight hotel service we provide.”
S.N. Petchers undertook another modernization in the summer of 1950.
The hotel featured banquet and meeting rooms, a bar known at different times as the Plaza Hotel Bar and the Lantern Lounge, The Cornerstone dining room, and a coffee shop.
The Hotel Plaza closed in 1985. For almost 30 years it stood empty, with various redevelopment schemes proposed every now and then The old hotel was finally demolished in February of 2014. Like the nearby Parkade Building, which had been taken down a couple of years earlier, the Plaza’s razing was far more a symptom of Camden’s reality than an event marking a new day of progress.
Dominick Oliveto became involved in the numbers game, likely around 1927 while still working as a shipper and would become associated with Marco Reginelli.
By June 1940, Marco Reginelli had established himself as a prominent figure in organized crime circles in Camden and South Jersey.
The Hotel Plaza was built at Fifth and Cooper Street in 1927, and was originally called the Plaza Club Hotel.
ALICE BURDSALL was born in Pennsylvania around 1873. First appointed a teacher in Camden in 1908, she rented room from Sarah Wescott of 108 Broadway at the time of the 1910 census. Her next door neighbor at 106 Broadway was undertaker Joseph H. Murray. She later roomed with Clara Dibble of 559 Washington Street. When…
The old Plaza Hotel downtown is a tomb, sealed shut for more than 20 years now, it’s windows shattered and its green marquee worn and stripped of letters.
Miss Alice Burdsall, of the plaza hotel, retired camden public school teacher, died Saturday in West Jersey Hospital. In 1902 and 1903 she taught in a private school in Chippewa, New York, then taught in Audubon public schools. She was appointed a teacher in the Camden public school system on April 27, 1908, to take…