5th Street

SUBMARINE FIRE- Burning bilge oil in the partly dismantled submarine Narwhal at the Quaker Shipyard and Machine Co.

Fifth Street was one of Camden’s original streets, running south to north, with a few major interruptions, from Newton Avenue to just west of Pyne Point in North Camden.


Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Bridge Avenue

    Bridge Avenue, once a prominent thoroughfare in Camden, is now little more than a memory. Situated between Federal and Mickle Streets, it boasted buildings on both sides stretching as far east as South 5th Street by the 1890s. By 1924, Bridge Avenue ran along the north side of the railroad tracks originating at the Market…

    Read More…

  • Rex Place

    Rex Place

    Rex Place, a short thoroughfare, extended eastward from the vicinity of 317 North 5th Street, concluding its course at 309 North 6th Street, neatly positioned between Penn and Linden Street. The northern side of Rex Place provided rear access to residences in the 500 block of Linden Street, while the southern side, commencing at North…

    Read More…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ. In an earlier chapter I suggested that a young writer seeking a subject for a story could take any Camden street that leads to…

    Read More…

  • Camden NJ and the Beginnings of Country Music

    Camden NJ and the Beginnings of Country Music

    On November 30, 1927, Jimmie Rodgers arrived in Camden to cut his first professionally recorded records. Three months earlier Ralph Peer, a talent scout for Camden’s Victor Records had traveled south to Bristol VA/TN, seeking some new talent for Victor. Rodgers was the first to be invited back to Camden to record. The Carter Family…

    Read More…

  • Amanda Alloway

    Amanda Alloway, who was born in New Jersey in November 1843, had a notable life deeply intertwined with the historical tapestry of Camden, New Jersey. She married Joseph Alloway by 1863, and the couple had three children: Charles, born in December 1863, Joseph, born on November 22, 1865, and Ida May, born around 1867. The…

    Read More…

  • Edwin F. Allen

    EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.