The first clock appeared above City Hall in 1876. Camden’s new City Hall opened early that year, although the clock was not yet in place. The first town clock in the tower of the City Hall was placed in position in May of 1876. It cost $3,575, and rang out the hours for the first time on May 26, 1876.
When the city government determined to build a new City Hall in the late 1920s, the architectural firm of Edwards & Green placed four clocks, one facing in each direction, above the 17th floor. The clocks and the elevator machinery room above it give City Hall an overall height of 22 stories.