Joseph H. Forsyth entered the world on May 30, 1879, in Burlington County, NJ, as the son of Joshua and Luisa Hatch Forsyth. His father, engaged in farming, had the family residing in Pemberton, NJ, as indicated by the 1880 census. Notably, Joseph Forsyth’s uncle was Cooper B. Hatch, who served as the Mayor of Camden, NJ, from 1898 to 1902.
By 1920, Joseph Forsyth had firmly rooted himself in Camden, NJ, establishing a flourishing real estate and insurance business known as the Cooper B. Hatch Company, located at 315 Market Street. During the 1920 census, he was found residing at 708 Cooper Street with his wife Hazel.
Joseph Forsyth demonstrated a commitment to public service by serving as a state senator from Camden during the 1920s. His legislative involvement persisted until at least 1928, when he proposed a bill in the State Senate seeking to exempt Camden from the state Civil Service system. Despite garnering support from various local and statewide Republican politicians, the bill did not impede the broader movement to implement Civil Service regulations for government jobs in New Jersey. By the mid-1930s, this regulation had become nearly universal across the state.
Joseph Forsyth’s passing on November 7 of that year marked the end of an era, leaving behind a substantial estate. In testament to his philanthropic spirit, the Cooper B. Hatch Foundation was established from his estate, dedicated to assisting physically challenged children from economically disadvantaged families.
Roy Stewart was Camden Mayor, envisioning the high speed line (now PATCO) across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the Housing Authority, and Westfield Acres.
Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ.
A centennial review: the year was 1927 and the future had hardly ever looked brighter for the City of Camden. Times were prosperous, business and industry were booming, and the city was full of recently constructed public buildings, civic improvements, schools, the new Delaware River bridge and its new highway to the suburbs. The stock…
Organized March 8, 1916, the Camden County Real Estate Board was incorporated May 10, 1916, with eight charter members. Its growth has been rapid and continuing until today it numbers 100 active members, 3 junior members and 70 associates.
The Merchants Trust was organized in November of 1911. It was a small bank that catered to Camden’s business community, and was one of many small and medium sized banks active in the 1910s and 1920s. From its founding through his death in 1924 the president of the Merchants Trust was Charles Reynolds. He was…
A few hours after William Schiller killed his fater, his wife whom he had also tried to shoot, was found wandering through the city street, in all hysterical condition.