Brown Street


Brown Street in Camden’s Fourteenth Ward is one of two streets bearing that name. It is listed in Camden’s 1906 City Directory and is depicted on a map published in 1914. Originally located in Camden’s Eighth Ward, it became part of the Fourteenth Ward when Yorkship Village was incorporated into Camden after World War I.

According to the 1924 City Directory, Brown Street ran east from Master Street to Newton Creek, south of Olive Street, positioning it as the third street south of Morgan Boulevard.

Although Brown Street appears on the 1914 map, it is uncertain whether the street was actually laid out. The 1924 Directory does not list any addresses on Brown Street, and it does not appear on a map published in 1946. Satellite images indicate that Brown Street would have been situated in the middle of the Canterbury Apartments tract.

The “other” Brown Street was apparently located in Stockton Township and was renamed 21st Street following the merger of that municipality with Camden in 1899.


Location



Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Bridge Avenue

    Bridge Avenue, once a prominent thoroughfare in Camden, is now little more than a memory. Situated between Federal and Mickle Streets, it boasted buildings on both sides stretching as far east as South 5th Street by the 1890s. By 1924, Bridge Avenue ran along the north side of the railroad tracks originating at the Market…

    Read More…

  • John H. Dialogue Sr.

    John H. Dialogue Sr.

    When it comes to gauging success by the durability and global reach of one’s manufactured creations, John Dialogue undeniably stands as one of Camden’s most notable figures. In his time and for many years that followed, his name resonated with distinction. Born in Philadelphia in 1828 to parents Adam and Sallie Dialogue, John Dialogue established…

    Read More…

  • Inception of the First Paid Fire Department in the US

    Inception of the First Paid Fire Department in the US

    During the Civil War, Camden purchased its first steam fire apparatus on June 4, 1864 the Independence Fire Company No. 3 purchased an Amoskeag steamer for $3250. This apparatus was a third class, single pump style with serial #92. Independence sold this steamer to Millville, New Jersey in 1869 and in the Spring of that…

    Read More…

  • The Year 1842 – Camden, NJ

    The first night boat between Camden and Philadelphia was put on July 4, 1842, by the Camden and Philadelphia Ferry Company, the last boat leaving Camden at 9:00 PM and Philadelphia at 9:30 PM. On April 1, 1842 the Railroad Hotel at the foot of Bridge Avenue, kept by James Elwell and often called Elwell’s…

    Read More…

  • The Year 1837, Camden, NJ

    City Council authorized the construction of a market house on Market Street at the intersection of Third Street on March 13, 1837. This market house containing 8 stalls was erected at a cost of $250, and was ready for use December 28, 1837. It was continued in use until 1871 when it was torn down.…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.