French’s Court was a narrow thoroughfare extending west from 1021 Broadway. Initially labeled as French Street, its existence can be traced back to at least 1850. Somewhere between 1863 and 1867, the designation shifted to French’s Court, and its presence endured in directories until 1922. In 1891, four wooden structures stood along French’s Court, but by 1906, all had vanished.
Among its residents, Mrs. Miller, a beneficiary of a War of 1812 settlement in 1891, resided on French’s Court, alongside Isaac Merrick, a convicted murderer.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
A laborer, Isaac Merrick worked at a Catholic cemetery in either Camden or Gloucester City. He later was the subject of a murder-suicide with his adopted daughter.
Originally designated as French Street, its origins can be traced to at least 1850. In 1891, four buildings occupied French’s Court; however, by 1906, none of these structures remained.