Tag: Broadway

  • Bulson Street

    Bulson Street

    Bulson Street once stretched eastward from Broadway to South 11th Street alongside the railroad tracks connecting Camden to the rest of South Jersey. The street is believed to have been named after Gilbert Bulson, a farmer who owned a sizable parcel of land in the area during the 19th century. City Directories dating back to…

  • Bridge Avenue

    Bridge Avenue, once a prominent thoroughfare in Camden, is now little more than a memory. Situated between Federal and Mickle Streets, it boasted buildings on both sides stretching as far east as South 5th Street by the 1890s. By 1924, Bridge Avenue ran along the north side of the railroad tracks originating at the Market…

  • Branch Street

    Branch Street

    Branch Street is a one-block street that extends from 1460 Broadway east to South 6th Street. It first appeared in City Directories in 1878. According to the 1906 Camden City Directory, it had been referred to as Commerce Street until some point between the publication of the 1888-1889 and 1890-1891 City Directories.

  • Ralph W. E. Donges

    Ralph W. E. Donges

    Ralph Waldo Emerson Donges, born on May 5, 1868, in Donaldson, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, to Dr. John Washington Donges and Rose Marguerite Renaud Donges, was a distinguished legal and political figure in Camden, NJ. His father, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and a practicing physician, and his French-born mother, provided a nurturing environment…

  • Roy R. Stewart

    Roy R. Stewart

    Roy R. Stewart was born in Quakake, PA, a small mining town, in 1887. During his youth, he worked as a breaker boy in the mines. After completing business college, he relocated to Camden in 1909 and secured employment at Hurley’s Department Store located at Broadway and Spruce Street. In 1912, he established his own…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ. In an earlier chapter I suggested that a young writer seeking a subject for a story could take any Camden street that leads to…

  • Walkathon at Central Airport

    W.E. Tebbets’ 1933 Walkathon Walkathons and Dance Marathons became popular during the Depression years. Promoter W.E. Tebbets set up many of these events all over the country, bringing his own bands and entertainers along to the event. After a successful walkathon at Atlantic City in 1932, Tebbets arranged for a similar contest to be held…

  • Broadway Trust

    Broadway Trust

    Broadway Trust, also known as Broadway Merchants Trust 938-944 Broadway, Camden, NJ The Broadway Trust Company building was built prior to World War I. The architect was Phillip Merz who was based in Rochester NY and the building was constructed by the J. Henry Miller Co. of Baltimore MD, who also built the building which…

  • Leon E. Todd, Sr.

    Leon E. Todd, Sr.

    Leon Edgar Todd Sr. was born in Camden NJ on November 22, 1893. He operated his real estate agency for many years in Camden at 2623 Westfield Avenue, a building designed by the Camden architectural firm of Lackey & Hettel. Besides handling real estate transactions between buyers and sellers, Leon Todd developed several neighborhoods. One…

  • Zuni Athletic Association

    The Zuni Athletic Association sponsored semi-pro sports teams as early as the spring of 1930 and into the early 60s. It appears to have founded in that year. Founding members included Peter Barbalace, Pasquale “Pat” Barbalace, Emil Aceto, John LaPlaca, and Jack O’Neil. The Zuni clubhouse in its early years was at 464 Royden Street.…

  • Camden National Bank

    Camden National Bank

    1123 Broadway (Broadway and Sycamore Street), Camden, NJ Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885. Zophar C. Howell was the first President. One of the founders, and an early vice-president was Henry B. Wilson, for whom the H.B. Wilson School at South 9th & Florence Street…

  • American National Bank

    American National Bank

    1213-1219 Broadway (Broadway & Amber Street) Founded in the mid-1920s, The American National Bank built a fine building at 1213 Broadway which is still standing today, although it has been boarded up and vacant for many years. The bank’s President was Elmer Ellsworth Long, who had been a principle in the Munger & Long Department…

  • George B. Anderson

    George B. Anderson

    George B. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.…

  • Federal Street

    Federal Street

    Federal Street was originally called Joseph Cooper’s Lane, and ran from the river to the old Haddonfield Road. In 1803 Joshua Cooper, who was an ardent Federalist, called it Federal Street. His father, Daniel Cooper, had, in 1764, built a large three-story brick house and established a ferry about the same time to Philadelphia. This…

  • George Ackerle

    GEORGE ACKERLE was born December 14, 1920 in New Jersey. He was one of at least seven children born to Paul F. and Anna Ackerle. The Ackerles lived in Deptford NJ through at least April of 1930. Paul Ackerle was a baker by trade, working in Camden as early as 1918, and young George followed…