Vine Street in North Camden is one of the city’s “Tree” streets, likely inspired by Philadelphia. In the past, Vine Street extended all the way to the Delaware River, where it served as the terminal for the Cooper’s Point Ferry, also known as the Vine Street Ferry. Moving eastward, Vine Street, like many other streets in North Camden, stretches all the way to 10th Street.
Vine street was the site of a 1912 Camden, NJ cyclone which did considerable damage.
Notably, North Camden’s Holy Name Church is located on Vine Street. In the past, the street was also home to John F. Daly’s Cafe, Ann’s Tavern, and the Standard Movie Theater, also known as the North Camden Theater.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
In response to petitions from citizens, the State Legislature and County Freeholders authorized the building of a bridge and an extension of State Street to connect with Federal Street.
Vine Street extended all the way to the Delaware River, where Cooper’s Point Ferry, also known as the Vine Street Ferry, was situated.
Down Memory Lane with that Old Gang of Yours… in a few of the years when Our Town was as good a sport town as any in the land… from the time that Taylor and Gunnis promoted fights through the years to Roxey Allen… Mickey Blair… Eddie Chaney… Shamus Maguire… Pee Wee Ross… Jackie Hindle……
Camden Courier-Post – October 29, 1931 The campaign foe A. Harry Moore, gubernatorial candidate, and local Democratic candidates, will be carried into six wards of the city and in seven communities or the county tonight.
Two lives will probably be sacrificed, property valued at at least a hundred thousand dollars, was virtually destroyed and the northwest section of the city was laid in ruin when a storm of cyclonic intensity swept over Camden last night. It continued hardly fifteen minutes, but, in that time more havoc was wrought than by…
Among the latest victims of the grip in Camden are Mayor Hatch, Chief of Police Foster, City Clerk Worry Kramer, former City Counsel J. Wiliard Morgan, Charles R. Baron, and Policemen George Cooper, Harry Miller, James Ware and George Anderson.