Tag: City Directory
Berkley Hall was built in 1895. It stands at 601 Berkley Street, the northeast corner of 6th and Berkeley Streets.
Raymond T. Amos
RAYMOND T. AMOS was born in Frankford, Delaware on December 28, 1905 to Albert and Catherine Amos. His father was a minister. The family had moved to Camden by the summer of 1910 and taken up residence at 1004 Central Avenue.
Eugene F. Alston
EUGENE F. ALSTON was born October 16, 1919 in Camden to Richard Alston and his wife, the former Dolly Robinson. His father had been born in 1891 in Henderson, North Carolina. Richard Alston was working as a laborer at the Victor Talking Machine Company in June of 1917, and had married. Mr. and Mrs. Alston then lived in Camden at 1017 Francis Street, a small street that ran south from Walnut to Chestnut Street, between Front and South 2nd Streets.
MRS. AMANDA ALLOWAY was born in New Jersey in November of 1843, according to the 1900 Census. By 1863 she had married Joseph Alloway. A son, Charles Alloway, was born in December of 1863. Another son, Joseph came November 22, 1865, and there was also a daughter, Ida May, was born around 1867. By the time the Census was taken in 1870 the Alloways had moved to Gloucester City, New Jersey. The 1872 City Directory shows the family at 901 North Front Street in North Camden. The 1878 City Directory shows them at 8 Pine Avenue in South Camden. The 1880 Census shows Joseph and Amanda Alloway and their three children still living on Pine Avenue, which was renamed Clare Street shortly thereafter. This street is one block long, running from Pine Street south to Division Street between South 3rd and South 4th Streets. Joseph Alloway worked as a carpenter. The 1890 and 1896 City Directories show Joseph and Amanda Alloway living at 510 Division Street. The 1898 City Directory shows that Amanda Alloway was now a widow.
Edwin F. Allen
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.
1936 Camden, NJ Phone Directory
Camden District Telephone Directory, November 1936
1927 Camden, NJ City Directory
Geographically, Camden is located on the east bank of the Delaware River; Philadelphia being opposite. It is about 55 miles above the mouth of the river.
Camden was first settled by Quakers in 1679 — three years before William Penn made his treaty with the Indians in Philadelphia. Pa
1918-1919 Camden, NJ City Directory
This page contains links to the contents of the 1918-1919 edition of the Camden City Directory, published by the C.E. Howe Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This book is over 1300 pages in length.
1911 Camden, NJ City Directory (partial)
This is a partial scan of Howe’s Greater Camden City Directory for 1910-1911
1906 Camden Phone Directory
The Delaware and Atlantic Telegraph and Telephone Company. Local and Long Distance Telephone. Camden District.