Tag: Saint Paul's Episcopal Church

  • Charles G. Garrison

    Charles G. Garrison

    Charles Grant Garrison was born in Swedesboro, New Jersey, on August 3, 1849. He was the son of Rev. Joseph Fithian Garrison and had three younger brothers: Lindley, William, and Joseph. Lindley Garrison served as the Secretary of War under President Wilson from 1913 until his resignation in 1916. The Garrison family moved to Camden…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ. In an earlier chapter I suggested that a young writer seeking a subject for a story could take any Camden street that leads to…

  • Religious History of Camden

    Religious History of Camden

    From George Reeser Prowell’s History of Camden County, New Jersey, 1886 Newton Friend’s Meeting About the year 1800, when the general opening of roads made it no longer important to be on the water, Newton Friends determined to move from their old meet­ing-house on Newton Creek to a place more central; and in Fourth Month,…

  • Taps Sound for Jack Airedale, Canine Mascot of Fire Laddies

    Taps Sound for Jack Airedale, Canine Mascot of Fire Laddies

    Camden Courier-Post – November 7, 1934 Taps Sound for Jack Airedale, Canine Mascot of Fire Laddies Camden firemen and policemen paid their final respects to stout-hearted Jack Airedale yesterday. The beloved mascot of Headquarters Fire Company, Fifth and Arch streets, whose life was crushed out under the wheels of truck No. 2, his own wagon,…

  • Thousands View Chief’s Remains

    Thousands View Chief’s Remains

    Camden Post-Telegram – May 10, 1914 Throngs Jam Court House While Body Lies in State for Two Hours. LAST SAD RITES THIS AFTERNOON Not since the memorable funeral of Chief of Police Foster ten years ago, has there been such a genuine public tribute paid an official of Camden as was in evidence last night…

  • St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Officers Elected

    St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Officers Elected

    Philadelphia Inquirer – April 16, 1884 In St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Camden, the following officers were elected: Wardens—Abraham Browning, Marmaduke B. Taylor, Vestrymen—Maurice Browning, William E. Lafferty, Samuel H. Grey, Edward R. Shubrick, Jesse W. Starr, Joseph Fearon, William J. Sewell, H. Genet Taylor, James H. Carpenter, Henry C. Alexander, Robert F. S. Heath, Wilson…

  • Morgan Hall

    Morgan’s Hall, also known as Morgan Hall, was built by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The cornerstone of Morgan’s Hall, or as it was originally called, Odd Fellows Hall, at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was laid on October 5, 1848. The building was dedicated on November 8, 1849. It was…

  • The Year 1830 – Camden, NJ

    The Year 1830 – Camden, NJ

    Benjamin Dugdale, son-in-law of James Kaighn, established a tannery on Cooper Street below Front, on the site of what became the Esterbrook Pen Company. In 1845 the place was used as a livery stable by Joseph Myers. “The Rector, Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Paul’s Church, Camden,” was organized March 26, 1830, and the certificate…