Charles Grant Garrison was born in Swedesboro, New Jersey, on August 3, 1849. He was the son of Rev. Joseph Fithian Garrison and had three younger brothers: Lindley, William, and Joseph. Lindley Garrison served as the Secretary of War under President Wilson from 1913 until his resignation in 1916.
The Garrison family moved to Camden in 1855 when Rev. Garrison was appointed rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, a position he held until August of 1884.
Charles G. Garrison received his education at Edgehill School in Princeton and the Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia. He entered the University of Pennsylvania with the intention of studying medicine and graduated in 1872. After practicing medicine in Swedesboro for four years, he decided to pursue a legal career. Garrison joined the office of Samuel H. Grey of Camden, who was the Attorney General of the State at the time. He was admitted to the Bar in 1878 and established a partnership with Thomas French. They became counselors-at-law in 1881 and remained partners until 1888 when Garrison was appointed to the New Jersey State Supreme Court.
In 1884, Charles Garrison became Judge Advocate General of New Jersey. In 1888, Governor Green nominated him to the State Senate as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, succeeding Justice Joel Parker. Confirmation from the Senate was swift. Governors Werts, Murphy, Fort, and Fielder re-nominated him for successive seven-year terms in 1895, 1902, 1909, and 1916. He retired due to ill health around 1920.
Justice Garrison assumed the role of Chancellor of the Southern Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church of New Jersey in 1882, and he held this position as late as 1917.
Judge Garrison resided in Merchantville for many years and was there at the time of his death on April 22, 1924, as noted in the New York Times the following day. Judge Charles G. Garrison left his entire estate to his housekeeper, Miss Winifred Dallin, of Wildwood, N.J.
Charles Grant Garrison was born in Swedesboro, New Jersey, on August 3, 1849. He was the son of Rev. Joseph Fithian Garrison and had three younger brothers: Lindley, William, and Joseph. Lindley Garrison served as the Secretary of War under President Wilson from 1913 until his resignation in 1916. The Garrison family moved to Camden…
Lindley M. Garrision entered the cabinet of President Woodrow Wilson on March 5, 1913, serving as secretary of war until February 10, 1916. Garrison and Wilson never fit well together. Garrison was much more willing to intervene militarily overseas than was the President.