Tag: Wildey Hall

H. Pinsky and Son Co, February 1928
Posted in Retail

H. Pinsky & Son Co.

In 1924, the new Pinsky Store building, a five story structure at 836-840 Broadway, the corner of Broadway & Spruce Street, opened for business. The Pinsky building was later acquired by a furniture business called Whitehill, which operated there through the late 1940s.

Wildey Hall Fire - 1956-10-27
Posted in Buildings

Wildey Hall

Wildey Hall was built in 1868 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was named for Thomas Wildey who formed the first Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge in NJ, in Camden, in 1829.

The Hurley Store on Broadway, a great big structure conducted on progressive lines as is proven by the manner in which the buying public bestows its patronage. The Hurley service has become a byword with thousands of South Jersey families. its occupants.
Posted in Retail

Hurley’s Department Store

Founded in 1890, Hurley’s Department Store was a fixture in the Camden and South Jersey retail business scene until 1956, when the Hurley family closed the business.

Borstein's Electric, Storefront. Circa 1943
Posted in Utilities

Borstein Electric Company

The Borstein family began the business in 1918. The business was at 930 Broadway during the winter of 1921.

Secret Mask Anonymous Stock Photo
Posted in Historical Accounts

Knights of the Golden Eagle (Excerpt)

The Knights of the Golden Eagle is a secret benevolent institution, founded in Baltimore, Md., February 6, 1873, and is now in successful operation in the States of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, California, Ohio, New York, Iowa, Georgia, Connecticut, West Virginia, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Colorado, Virginia, Illinois, Alabama and the District of Columbia. It is based upon the most liberal principles consistent with future prosperity, and has for its motto, " Fidelity, Valor and Honor," a trinity of graces which are taught in its ritual.