Founded in 1890, Hurley’s Department Store was a fixture in the Camden and South Jersey retail business scene until 1956, when the Hurley family closed the business.
The business, originally called Gately & Hurley, was originally located in the old Wildey Hall at 4th and Pine Streets. Founder William Leonard Hurley assumed sole ownership in 1904. By this time the company had located their flagship store on the south-west corner of Broadway and Pine Street. William Leonard Hurley passed away early in 1928. His son Jerome, along with brothers James V. and Harry A. Moran, carried the business forward.
In 1947, the store underwent a major renovation. By that time, the Hurley chain had expanded to include a total of seven stores, including locations in East Camden, Penns Grove, Trenton, Millville, Wilmington DE, Pennsylvania, and elsewhere.
Hurley’s was noted for its personnel, many of whom worked fro the concern for decades. Harry A. Moran, who was general manager of the business in the 1930s and 1940s, retired in 1944 after 46 years with the firm. His brother James V. Moran also worked for Hurley’s for over four decades.
Hurley’s closed in 1956. While the business had suffered due to competition from other, larger stores, the closing was as much a product of a lack of a succession plan for the business. The store’s closing, however, was a portent of things to come later for Camden.
The book on the life of retail magnate William Leonard Hurley depicts a bustling shopping strip near a Waterfront that had an impact on the world.
Roy Stewart was Camden Mayor, envisioning the high speed line (now PATCO) across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the Housing Authority, and Westfield Acres.
Turner Hall held a prominent position within the German-American community in Camden and played a multifaceted role in promoting athletic, political, and social activities. Following the unsuccessful 1848 revolution in Germany, a substantial number of German immigrants, including members of the Turners, sought refuge in the United States.
A landmark in Camden for over 30 years, the Baker-Flick Company store’s origins go back to 1866 when John F. Chew founded what evolved into a dry goods business.
The “Buy in Camden” campaign was aimed at keeping in Camden, the great flow of business which goes “shopping.” While this class of buyer may not have found in the Camden stores of ten years ago the great variety of goods which satisfies the varying wants of necessity and luxury, that condition has changed.
Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885.