Philadelphia Inquirer – November 26, 1897
Gallant Laddies Celebrated Thanksgiving With a Parade
Representative firemen from New Jersey and Pennsylvania owned the Town of Stockton yesterday and the Knights of the Golden Eagle joined them in the annual Thanksgiving demonstration of the Volunteer Fire Department of the town.
To the merry jingle of hose carriage bells and the music of a dozen brass bands the many hundred uniformed firemen, old volunteers, with engines, hose carriages, hook and ladders and fire apparatus, of all descriptions, modern and ancient, marched through the town’s most prominent streets. Chief Gick acted as marshal of the parade, with Martin J. Ryan, of the Stockton Hose Company: George Bremen, of the Citizens Fire Company; Millard Daly, of the William Fenn Company, and Jesse Milby, of the Rosedale Fire Company, as aids. The procession was led by Chief of Police Samuel N. Johnson and the police force, who appeared in new uniforms.
After the parade the Stockton Hose Company dedicated their new fire house. Ex-Chief of the Camden Fire Department William Abels delivered the address and a speech was also made by Chief Elfreth, of the Camden Fire Department.
After the parade the Rosedale Fire Company also burned all its notes, which were recently paid, and a reception followed at the fire houses. The Citizens’ Fire Company, William Penn Company, Pavonia Hose Company all kept open houses last night and many visitors were entertained until a late hour.
The Eagles held a reception at the Sigle Building, where addresses were made by J. C. T. Trachsel, of Stockton, and Colonel A. H. Troth, of Palmyra.
You must log in to post a comment.