Charles S. Boyer

Charles S. Boyer

Charles Shimer Boyer, born in Pennsylvania in 1869 to Benjamin Franklin Boyer and Alabama Shimer Boyer, is most notably recognized as the inaugural President of the Camden County Historical Society. Renowned for his contributions to the region’s historical narrative, he authored or co-authored numerous books and articles. His family relocated to Camden when he was three years old, initially residing at 321 North 2nd Street during the 1880 census. By the late 1880s, they had moved to 528 Linden Street. Benjamin F. Boyer, Charles’s father, partnered with George Shimer in Shimer & Boyer, a woolen yarn manufacturing company later known as the B. F. Boyer Company. George Shimer, Alabama Shimer Boyer’s father, lived on Linden Street at 503 Linden.

Charles S. Boyer married Anna Derousse, daughter of former Assemblyman and Camden Postmaster Louis T. Derousse, on April 27, 1904. The 1910 census places Charles and his family at 525 Cooper Street, among notable neighbors like Judge Frank T. Lloyd, Dr. Byron Fortiner, Dr. Paul Markley, and father-son duo Drs. William A. and Albert Davis.

Following a successful stint managing the family business after his father’s passing, Charles S. Boyer redirected his focus toward studying Camden County’s history. As a prolific writer, he penned numerous books and pamphlets, earning the distinction of being the first president of the Camden County Historical Society. Detailed accounts of his business and historical endeavors can be found in a 1920s biography and a more recent article authored by Vincent Summers, a distant relative.

In November 1927, Mayor Winfield S. Price appointed a committee chaired by Charles S. Boyer to organize the One Hundredth Anniversary observance of the City of Camden in February 1928. The committee comprised notable members such as T. Yorke Smith, E.G.C. Bleakly, Mahlon F. Ivins Jr., Fred S. Caperoon, and Frank S. Albright.

Charles S. Boyer later relocated to Moorestown, NJ. He passed away on November 10, 1936, and was interred at Harleigh Cemetery. The honorary pallbearers at his funeral included many of Camden’s leading citizens from the first third of the 20th century.


Related Photos


Related Articles

  • Charles S. Boyer

    Charles S. Boyer

    Charles Shimer Boyer, born in Pennsylvania in 1869 to Benjamin Franklin Boyer and Alabama Shimer Boyer, is most notably recognized as the inaugural President of the Camden County Historical Society. Renowned for his contributions to the region’s historical narrative, he authored or co-authored numerous books and articles. His family relocated to Camden when he was…

    Read More…

  • Winfield S. Price

    Winfield S. Price

    Winfield Scott Price enlisted in the New Jersey National Guard in 1892, starting as a private and eventually retiring as a Major General in June 1939. During this span, he served in both the Spanish American War and World War I. Prior to his military service, he held a seat on the Camden NJ City…

    Read More…

  • Glass Windows and the Nicholson House – Tracking History

    Glass Windows and the Nicholson House – Tracking History

    Joseph Nicholson, whose father immigrated with John Fenwick, incorporated glass windows in the construction, which was considered a marvel at the time.

    Read More…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ.

    Read More…

  • The Attitude of the Society of Friends toward Slavery

    The Attitude of the Society of Friends toward Slavery

    THIS will not attempt to be a history of human slavery, but will be confined to its relation to the Society of Friends in America. In the early history of this country the first negro slaves were said to be 20 negroes brought by Captain John Harkins in 1620 from the Coast of Guinea and…

    Read More…

  • Merchants Trust Company

    Merchants Trust Company

    The Merchants Trust was organized in November of 1911. It was a small bank that catered to Camden’s business community, and was one of many small and medium sized banks active in the 1910s and 1920s. From its founding through his death in 1924 the president of the Merchants Trust was Charles Reynolds. He was…

    Read More…


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.