SECOND STREET runs north and south, between Front and Third Streets, parallel to the Delaware River as far south as Mechanic Street. It originally ran virtually uninterrupted, but in the very early 1970s, several blocks on the east side of North 2nd Street below Mickle Street were taken, the buildings razed, and two public housing projects were built: the Royal Court townhomes and the Mickle Tower senior citizens apartment building.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
The Camden National Bank
ONE of the chief elements in the material growth and progress of a community is the banking interest, and in this department of business, Camden boasts of several vigorous corporations, one of the most important being the Camden National Bank, located at Second street and Kaighn avenue. It was incorporated as a national bank in 1885, in order to provide…
SECOND STREET runs north and south, between Front and Third Streets, parallel to the Delaware River as far south as Mechanic Street. It originally ran virtually uninterrupted.
George B. Anderson
GEORGE B. ANDERSON was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.
Eugene F. Alston
EUGENE F. ALSTON was born October 16, 1919 in Camden to Richard Alston and his wife, the former Dolly Robinson. His father had been born in 1891 in Henderson, North Carolina. Richard Alston was working as a laborer at the Victor Talking Machine Company in June of 1917, and had married. Mr. and Mrs. Alston then lived in Camden at 1017 Francis Street, a small street that ran south from Walnut to Chestnut Street, between Front and South 2nd Streets.
BERKLEY STREET was originally and was for many, many years spelled Berkeley Street. The street was named…
Thomas R. Allibone
THOMAS R. ALLIBONE was one of the original members of the Camden Fire Department, entering service on September 2, 1869 as an extra man with Engine Company 1. Prior to entering the fire department he had worked as a coppersmith, and had served as a volunteer fire fighter with Independence Steam Engine Fire Company. Thomas Allibone was living at 250 Pine Street when he joined the department in the fall of 1869.
You must log in to post a comment.