Tag: Hotel Ridgway

  • Stephen Parsons

    Stephen Parsons

    STEPHEN PARSONS came to Camden in 1844. He operated a hotel at Federal Street and Front Street, near the Federal Street Ferry with partner Richard Cake which was known as Woolston’s Hotel. During the time the partners operated the establishment, until 1853, the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company held its Director’s meetings at Parson’s Hotel.…

  • Hotel Ridgway

    Hotel Ridgway

    Southeast Corner of Delaware Avenue and Market Street The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. It was run by different parties through the ensuing years. Stephen Parsons operated the business from 1884 until his passing in 1890. The name was changed to…

  • Johnny Toomey

    Johnny Toomey

    JOHNNY TOOMEY was the ring name of Philip John Carlin Jr., one of the three brothers from Camden NJ who fought under the surname Toomey, the others being his older half-brothers Daniel “Danny” Toomey and William “Billy” Toomey. Another brother, Jake Carlin, fought as an amateur, and apparently the Toomey boys’ father had also fought…