STEPHEN PARSONS came to Camden in 1844. He operated a hotel at Federal Street and Front Street, near the Federal Street Ferry with partner Richard Cake which was known as Woolston’s Hotel. During the time the partners operated the establishment, until 1853, the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company held its Director’s meetings at Parson’s Hotel. Stephen Parsons bought out Richard Cake around 1854, and the establishment came to be known as Parson’s Hotel. The Camden Insurance Safe Deposit & Trust Company, which was chartered in April of 1873, opened its subscription book at Parsons Hotel on May 31, 1873.
Stephen Parsons operated successfully there until 1882, when the building was demolished. After engaging briefly in a similar venture in Atlantic City, he returned to Camden and by 1884 had leased the West Jersey Hotel, at Market and Delaware Avenues, near the Market Street Ferry.
Stephen Parsons was still operating the West Jersey Hotel when the 1890-1891 Camden City Directory was compiled. He passed away on August 29, 1890 at the age of 69, and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden. His widow, Emma Parsons passed away in May of 1899, as reported in the May 23rd edition of the Trenton Times.
Stephen Parson had been active as a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
S.S.E. Cowperthwaite, Sewing Machines, etc. 221 Federal Street ONE of the oldest business concerns in Camden is that of S.S. E. Cowperthwaite, located at No. 221 Federal St., and well known throughout the city and country. It was established by Mr. Cowperthwaite in 1840. The salesroom is 16 x 28 feet in size, has, of…
Stephen Parsons owned a number of hotels in Camden and was a prominent member of the city in the mid-1800’s. He was an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. It was run by different parties through the ensuing years. Stephen Parsons operated the business from 1884 until his passing in 1890.
The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its…