The Grand Theater was located at 207 Broadway, just south of Mickle Street and adjacent to one-time Camden Mayor Roy R. Stewart‘s men’s wear store. The 1911 Camden City Directory shows Abram Greenberg operating a theater at this address. The Grand remained a popular spot into the early 1950s, when television and a lack of parking caused attendance to fall. By 1959 the theater had closed. The October 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory’s Yellow Pages lists only six theaters in Camden. By the early 1960s only two would remain open, and not for long.
The Grand was razed and retail stores took its place on Broadway. Around 1990 Broadway Eddie Warhoftig expanded his record shop to include the site of the former theater. The Warhoftig family remains in business on Broadway under the Broadway Eddie’s name in 2004.
The Grand remained a popular spot into the early 1950s, when television and a lack of parking caused attendance to fall.
You must log in to post a comment.