Mickle Street was named after John W. Mickle, a prominent figure in both local and State affairs in the 1840’s and 1850’s. He was one of the organizers and a shareholder for many years in the Federal Street Ferry, and had a large stake in the Camden and Amboy Railroad. More recently, Mickle Street can also be known as Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
On of the major East-West roads in Camden, Mickle Street runs from the Delaware River west past Haddon Avenue toward the Cooper River. The famous poet, Walt Whitman, made his home for many years in the 300 block of Mickle Street; Walt Whitman’s home is still standing, and has been converted into a museum in his honor. During the ferry and railroad era, the trains that served South Jersey ran east parallel to Mickle Street. The tracks were elevated so that street traffic to South Camden would not be interrupted. This was known as the “Chinese Wall” and was eliminated in the 1960s.
Mickle Boulevard runs parallel to Federal Street in East Camden. One section of Mickle Street runs from 15th to 17th Street. A second section runs from Marlton Avenue to South 26th street, While a third section of Mickle Street begins at Eutaw Street, in front of the Joseph Hatch House, and continues East to Woodrow Wilson High School at South 31st Street. Mickle picks back up for four blocks, between South 33rd and South 36th Streets. St George Methodist Episcopal Church was located here from the 1890s until it burned down sometime after 1980. The William McKinley Elementary School was also located here, from the 1890s until it closed in the 1950s, also a victim of fire.
In the late 1990s the City Council of the City of Camden renamed many streets. Most of these names have failed to gain popular acceptance over the years. Mickle Street in Central Camden, which had been renamed Mickle Boulevard when the railroad tracks were taken out and the street was widened to six lanes, was again renamed, this time as Martin Luther King Boulevard. While Dr. King’s deeds are beyond doubt deserving of some recognition, John Mickle did much for Camden, and the decision to rename, like several others made during this period, showed an acute lack of knowledge and sensitivity on the part of City Council and the Mayor’s Office. Tourists, scholars and students from out of town and foreign lands now have a difficult time finding the Walt Whitman House, as every literary and biographical text written concerning him refers to Mickle Street. Fortunately, most Camden residents have, to date, ignored the assorted name changes. Mickle Street in East Camden was not made part of the renaming campaign.
Besides the Walt Whitman House, the Joseph Hatch House, Woodrow Wilson High School, and St. George’s Methodist Episcopal Church, several other significant business and buildings have stood or presently stand on Mickle Street, including the Alfred Cramer Elementary School, Mickle and Riverview Towers, apartment homes for senior citizens, the Garden Hotel, Broadway Eddie’s record store, the Water Rand Transportation Center, and the Camden County Jail. Wiggins Park is at Mickle Boulevard’s eastern end, as is the Tweeter Center and the Adventure Aquarium (formerly the New Jersey State Aquarium); Cooper Hospital, the Camden Police Administration Building, and Camden’s Civil War Soldier’s Monument are just a few steps from Mickle. The Holl Block stood on Broadway between Stevens and Mickle Street for over 50 years. The New Jersey National Guard Armory (the home of the Camden Public Works Department for many years) is on Wright Avenue at Mickle Street. Camden’s City Hall stood on Haddon Avenue near Mickle prior to the opening in 1931 of the building presently in use.
Sadly, Mickle Street has also been the subject of criminal activity in the 1990s and the first years of the 21st century. A convicted drug dealer was removed from the streets permanently in 1996 by law enforcement officers serving our community, at the Happy Dragon Chinese Restaurant at 29th & Mickle Street, which in prior years had been a corner grocery. Sadly, eight years later other social parasites returned to the corner, robbed, pistol-whipped, and shot the hard-working immigrant owner, Bao Xing Lin, in front of his son, on March 11, 2004. The killers took $150.00 from the restaurant and were arrested later that year. The store has since been converted into a private residence.
Hover or click on marker for additional details
MICKLE STREET was named after John W. Mickle, a prominent figure in both local and State affairs in the 1840’s and 1850’s.
Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing, and the issue gets even more confusing when you add the fact that Camden had four different armories in the years between 1880 and 1960, and one of them was also called Convention Hall! It doesn’t help either that Convention Hall was also often referred to as the Civic Center during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and early 1950s.
Joseph Abarno was a laborer at the Joseph Campbell Company, later known as the Campbell Soup Company in Camden, NJ.
Charles A. Aceto
CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with his father in 1900. He threw himself into his education and into becoming proficient in the English language. He went into the bus and taxi business for himself with one station wagon, and by 1924 was operating a fleet of eight buses, providing regular service between the Market Street ferry and Parkside.
Robert T. Abbott
ROBERT T. ABBOTT was born in Salem, New Jersey on March 21, 18689 to Benjamin P. Abbott and his wife, the former Beulah Horner. The family moved to the Wrightsville section of Stockton Township, what is now Camden, in the 1870s. The 1880 Census shows the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, Robert, and his younger siblings William, Flora, and Estella. Another sister, Beulah, born in 1876, had died before the end of the following year. Two more Abbott children were born in the 1880s, James Griffee Abbott and Emma Abbott. The Abbotts made their home at the corner of 24th and Federal Streets in the 1880s. Benjamin Abbott was in business as a commission merchant. By 1885, Robert T. Abbott was working for his father as a clerk.
New name for Camden street near planned HQ
CAMDEN – City Council members voted Tuesday to rename one block of Mount Ephraim Avenue to Subaru Drive.
You must log in to post a comment.