A neighbor who ran several blocks Friday night when she saw smoke and flames brought firemen to rescue Samuel Liberetti, 88, of 606 Avon st., near West and Beckett sts.
Liberetti was trapped in the cellar by the flames on the stairway and was found by firemen lying semi-conscious on the floor.
August Johnson and Orville Goldsboro, of Engine Co. 1, donned oxygen masks and went into the home as Capt. Raymond Amos, of Engine Co. 1, wet them down and extinguished the flames on the stairs so the firemen could effect the rescue.
Mrs, Bertha Alemi, of 602 Avon st, Was returning from shopping: when she saw smoke and flames and heard shouts of help coming from the Liberetti home. She ran to the 4th and Pine sts. firehouse to sound the alarm, Liberetti’s daughter, Theresa, with whom he lives, was at work at the time of the blaze.
Engine Co, 2 and Truck Co, 1 came from headquarters with McDowell.