Tag: Pine Street

  • Clare Street

    Clare Street

    Clare Street, a one-block thoroughfare in South Camden, New Jersey, runs south from 338 Pine Street to 335 Division Street. It holds a distinct place in the city’s history, reflecting both its urban development and changes in community identity over time. Originally named Pine Avenue, this street underwent a name change to Clare Street between…

  • Old Cooper Street

    Old Cooper Street

    Reprinted from the series of stories of Camden’s earlier days, under the title Sixty Years in Camden County – Gosh! by Will Paul, appearing in The Community news, of Merchantville, NJ. In an earlier chapter I suggested that a young writer seeking a subject for a story could take any Camden street that leads to…

  • Pine Street

    Pine Street is distinguished in Camden as one of the city’s “tree” named streets. Notably, it is the only one among these that intersects with Haddon Avenue.

  • Raymond T. Amos

    Raymond T. Amos

    RAYMOND T. AMOS was born in Frankford, Delaware on December 28, 1905 to Albert and Catherine Amos. His father was a minister. The family had moved to Camden by the summer of 1910 and taken up residence at 1004 Central Avenue. The family had moved to 825 Walnut Street in South Camden by January of…

  • Eugene F. Alston

    Eugene F. Alston

    EUGENE F. ALSTON was born October 16, 1919 in Camden to Richard Alston and his wife, the former Dolly Robinson. His father had been born in 1891 in Henderson, North Carolina. Richard Alston was working as a laborer at the Victor Talking Machine Company in June of 1917, and had married. Mr. and Mrs. Alston…

  • Amanda Alloway

    Amanda Alloway, who was born in New Jersey in November 1843, had a notable life deeply intertwined with the historical tapestry of Camden, New Jersey. She married Joseph Alloway by 1863, and the couple had three children: Charles, born in December 1863, Joseph, born on November 22, 1865, and Ida May, born around 1867. The…

  • Thomas R. Allibone

    Thomas R. Allibone

    THOMAS R. ALLIBONE was one of the original members of the Camden Fire Department, entering service on September 2, 1869 as an extra man with Engine Company 1. Prior to entering the fire department he had worked as a coppersmith, and had served as a volunteer fire fighter with Independence Steam Engine Fire Company. Thomas…

  • Roxie Allen

    Roxie Allen

    ROXIE ALLEN was the ring name used by Rocco Auletto, who was one of the many fine Italian boxers who came out of South Camden in the 1920s and 1930s, and was considered by some to be among the best local fighters of his era. He fought in the lightweight, welterweight, and middleweight divisions. Rocco…

  • Angelo Anthony Leveccia (aka Joey Allen)

    Angelo Anthony Leveccia (aka Joey Allen)

    JOEY ALLEN was the name that Angelo Anthony Levecchia boxed under from 1928 through 1943. He was born in Camden, New Jersey on November 12, 1912 to Anthony Levecchia and his wife, the former Anna Maria Onorati. His father worked for as a laborer for many years at Camden Forge. Angelo Levecchia was one of…

  • Edwin F. Allen

    EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He…

  • George O. Addison

    George O. Addison

    GEORGE OWENS ADDISON, the son of William H. Addison and his wife, the former Pheobe Ann Drew, was born in Gloucester County, New Jersey on December 4, 1853. His family went to North Jersey for a time, and when the 1860 Census was taken lived in Chatham, in Morris County. When the Census was next…

  • Save Man, 88, In S. Camden Home Blaze

    Save Man, 88, In S. Camden Home Blaze

    Camden Courier-Post – January 26, 1957 A neighbor who ran several blocks Friday night when she saw smoke and flames brought firemen to rescue Samuel Liberetti, 88, of 606 Avon st., near West and Beckett sts. Liberetti was trapped in the cellar by the flames on the stairway and was found by firemen lying semi-conscious…

  • Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Police Investigate 3 Fires in 4 Hours In One Section

    Camden Courier-Post – July 31, 1952 Kaighn School Razed; Blazes Set in Church, Unoccupied House Police today are investigating the possibility that three fires Wednesday within a quarter-mile area inside of three hours and 46 minutes were the work of a firebug. The blaze which razed the Kaighn School, 5th and Chestnut Sts., Seriously damaged…

  • 100 Friends Honor Director Abbott At Birthday Fete

    100 Friends Honor Director Abbott At Birthday Fete

    Camden Courier-Post – June 2, 1950 Public Works Director Abbott had a birthday Thursday and more than 100 of his friends and associates helped him celebrate it at a surprise dinner. In response to praise for his accomplishments, Abbott attributed much of his success to support of those “on the other side of the tracks,”…

  • Dzick Appointed Judge of Camden Municipal Court

    Dzick Appointed Judge of Camden Municipal Court

    Camden Courier-Post – May 16, 1950 Prosecutor Replaces DiMona; Anthony Lario Is Chosen Benjamin J. Dzick, city prosecutor since 1942, today was named municipal judge of Camdent [sic] by Director of Public Safety George Aaron, replacing Police Court Judge John R. DiMona. At the same time Aaron appointed Anthony M. Lario to the post of…