George W. Johnson, a native of New Jersey, came into the world in the year 1872. According to the 1890-1891 Camden City Directory, he was employed as a carpenter and resided at 571 Clinton Street during that period.
It wasn’t until he reached the age of 43 that George Johnson tied the knot. As of the 1920 Census, he and his wife, Loretta, were residents of 765 Line Street. At that time, George had assumed the role of a building inspector for the City of Camden. Mrs. Johnson was an active member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, located at the intersection of South 6th and Stevens Street.
In the later years of his career, George W. Johnson continued to hold the position of City Building Inspector in Camden. He served under the leadership of Mayor Winfield S. Price, who held the mayoral office from 1927 to 1931.
Even as late as 1947, George and Loretta Johnson continued to reside at 765 Line Street. By then, he had long since retired from his professional duties.
According to the 1890-1891 Camden City Directory, he was employed as a carpenter and resided at 571 Clinton Street during that period.
Termed a ';rendezvous of thieves, a haven for spooners and a general nightmare, the deserted and broken down mansion at Third and State Streets, was ordered torn down.